View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #174 (permalink)
Infinite_Loser
Junkie

Before I begin, I would just like to say that I saw the unedited version of your post. You need to chill out. Seriously. It's just a debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose
Oh great, I haven't heard this from conservatives time and time again.
It's true. Whenever someone opposes gay marriage they're instantly labeled "Bigots" or "Homophobes", without regard to their actual opinions or stances. It's a rather simple case of ad-hominem. Attack the person's character, and discredit their argument.

Quote:
Quite frankly, this is Text removed. just plain insensitive to anyone who's suffered through homophobia.
Insensitive? How so? The term is loaded-- It has a negative connotation and denotation-- And is usually used to attack some directly rather than their argument. Since when did everyone who opposes gay marriage become homophobic?

Quote:
Yeah, homophobia doesn't exist. Nobody gets beaten up for being gay, nobody has to fear any form of social rejection for being gay and apparently "godhatesfags", Fred Phelps, and Pat Robertson don't exist. Text removed.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't beat up someone for being gay, or make fun of them or exclaim that "Godhatesfags". There are always people who take things to the extreme. No one is really defending their actions. Have you ever heard the saying "Don't paint everyone with the same paintbrush"? Merely opposing gay marriage is much, much different than taking an active role in hate towards gays.

Quote:
I never called you a homophobe. I merely pointed out that your opinion has little to no basis in facts or logic.
In your prior post you said that "People against gay marriage are homophobic not only because it's usually out of an irrational prejudice to homosexuality in some form, but because they believe in enforcing some form of discrimination against homosexuals." You insinuated that I was a "Homophobe" because I oppose gay marriage. Explain to me why it's all right for you to label others, yet you take offense when others label you?

Quote:
Yeah, because people get beaten to death for being straight.
Hate crime against any group of people is wrong. Of course, that's really irrelevant as it didn't directly deal with my previous post. Why is it acceptable for you to use "Homophobe" to characterize someone else, but incorect of them to use the term "Heterophobe" to characterize you?
Quote:
I explained exactly how and it seems conveniently, (Text removed.) you ignore the part you can't deal with.

Do you even know what a Straw Man is? You're making it look like homophobia doesn't exist - that's BEYOND a Straw Man and just plain delusional. Everyone knows Ad Hominem and Straw Man. To actually understand what they mean and when they apply is a different matter.
Nowhere did I ever state that "Homophobia" never existed. You asserted that everyone who opposes gay marriage are homophobes. That's simply untrue, and you have no logical reason for arguing as such except for baseless assumptions. I have two very good lesbian friends, yet I oppose gay marriage. That debunks your entire theory about everyone opposing gay marriage being homophobes.

By the way, concerning ad homimen, your previous post is filled with it, so I don't really need to address that.

Quote:
Yeah, because straight people are actively discriminated against so it's the same thing.
In a strange twist, gay hate crime against straights does happen, albeit rare.

Quote:
So you want there to be MORE homophobia? Because that's exactly what happens when you don't oppose it.
What's the point of me replying if you're going to answer my questions for me?

No, I don't support hate crimes against any group of people, if that's what you mean. Never have, never will. But, then again, while I don't support hate crimes I also don't support gay marriage.

Quote:
Yes, note the word "prejudice". Being against bigots isn't a prejudice - as you already KNOW what they're doing in action. A prejudice is when you have a false and destructive notion about someone. Otherwise you'd be "Prejudiced" against murderers and rapists. Text removed.
Yes, no one really ever disagreed with that statement. However, instantly labeling someone as a bigot because they oppose gay marriage is an incorrect assumption. If someone hates gays simply because they're gay then, by all means, label them a bigot. I've said this a few times, but one more time couldn't hurt. I don't hate gays and I even have gay friends. I'm wondering where such a situation fits into your definition of the word bigot.

Quote:
Many Americans have problems seeing why forcing their beliefs on someone is wrong.
Our entire society is based off of forcing one's beliefs and ideals on others. Actually, all societies are. But meh... That's another topic for another day.

Quote:
I already debunked that and like a good little conservative, you pull it out again since actual "proof" doesn't matter. In fact, I just debunked it again directly above, and I'm sure you'll ignore this again.
I'm actually quite liberal on 95% of issues :P

Anyway, your entire theory is based on the premise that everyone who opposes gay marriage hates gays. Yes, some people who oppose gay marriage hate gays but, then again, not everyone who opposes gay marriage hate gays. I'm still waiting to know how I'm a bigot. Please... Don't say that I'm a bigot because I oppose gay marriage.

If we wanted to follow that line of logic, I guess I'd be a bigot for opposing incestral marriage or opposing bestiality (No, I'm not equating gay marriage to either of the two. I'm pointing out that simply because I oppose something, does not mean that I'm a bigot).

Quote:
The word "bigot" wouldn't exist if your model existed - since nobody could actually use it.
Look up a couple of responses. I answered that already.

Quote:
Where is your actual argument? Your entire post seems to be saying that there should be less opposition towards hatred of gay people and discrimination against them, and that homophobia doesn't exist, in an extremely insensitive manner.
I wasn't arguing. I was merely pointing out that simply because someone opposes gay marriage doesn't make them a bigot. And, as far as the homophobia-thing goes, I answered that somewhere near the beginning.

Quote:
Why exactly should I have any decent level of respect for you Text removed. if this is how you present your so called "opinions"? Please, come back with an actual argument or don't bother at all. I'm not arguing semantics. Text removed.
I actually wasn't arguing with you but... I don't really care if you respect me or not. You've already proven yourself to be beligerent and abrasive for no real apparent reason. You can't even conduct a debate on the internet without the useless name-calling and flamebait. In a strange twist, you're not much different than the people you like to labe.

Anyway, you could always read my prior responses in this thread and respond to those.

Last edited by Infinite_Loser; 07-19-2006 at 10:51 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73