View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #129 (permalink)
OzOz
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
Would I blam the US for invading Canada in your hypothetical situation? Well that depends on what you mean by "invading". If you mean contacthing the government and demanding that they give up the locations of all known Hezbollah...I mean whatever name the Canadian terrorist group (let's call them the CLO, or Canadian Liberation Front) locations were.
I seriously doubt that this is a realistic possibility in the current conflict. I doubt the Lebanese would have the capacity to do so, given that Hezbollah seems to effectively control southern Lebanon - and even if they did have the power to do so, do you really think they would? I don't see ANY group being rounded up quickly by the local authorities in the Middle East if one of their main promises is to attack Israel.

Quote:
If they didn't give them up, then if the US were to send in troops multilaterally with several other nations, and were to only shoot when shot at, then maybe.
In all seriousness, what does "multilateral" have to do with anything at all? You want "multilateral", I'll give you a dodecagon. If you're responding to a real threat, then going it alone shouldn't have any impact whatsoever on whether your actions are just. Similarly, if you're carrying out a flagrantly illegal act of aggression with no justification, then having half the world supporting you with troops on the ground or in the air or at sea is not going to change the legality, or lack thereof, of your actions by one little bit.

As for only shooting when you're shot at, why should it work like that? The whole premise of your argument is that you already HAVE been shot at!

Quote:
Sitting back here and bombarding Canada with missles and bombs isn't quite the same thing.
No, of course it's not the same thing. Why should it be the same thing? Any general who allows "all things to be equal" when they should be well and truly in his side's favour is grossly incompetent.

Quote:
If Israel were interested in protecting it's borders, they might consider trying to make friends with arab citizens of neighboring nations.
And just how, exactly, should they do that?

Quote:
100 innocent civilians dead, people with no connections to Hezbollah, is quite counterproductive.
Dead innocent Israeli civilians, people also with no connections to Hezbollah, Fatah, Hamas, Islamic Jihad or any other such organisations, are also quite counterproductive.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73