View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
ngdawg
peekaboo

I am the oldest of 4-2 other girls then the only boy. At 12, mom deemed me old enough to watch the others when she went to work. You would think that would make me bossy, assertive, etc. That'd be the next one down. She's a bitch. She tells everyone what to do, how to do it, when, etc. The second one, a overworked scatterbrain. She's extremely talented-designs costumes, gowns, sews, makes dolls and wins a multitude of awards. It's almost like she has to keep trying to prove herself. My brother is somewhat like me, a dreamer, but he works hard and always thinks what he's doing will be successful.
I think that article is faulty in some ways. In others, it gives pause for thinking; was I so withdrawn because of my sister's pushiness? Or is she pushy because she came second? I call her my parent's favorite, something they deny, but it's pretty obvious since they all live together. And I have noticed not just in my family, but others, that the middle child is often the 'favorite'; parents find less fault with them, are more agreeable to what they do, and help them more.
Of my 3 siblings, I wouldn't be friends with the girls had we met randomly; my brother and I are closer than the girls, who are close to each other to the point of excluding my brother and me more than once.
Studies about siblings have always been going on-some regarding birth order, others the brother/sister dynamic. It all makes for interesting reading, but they're only that-there are as many exceptions as there are similarities. I think some personality traits are innate and then shaped or changed as time, environment and circumstance come into effect.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54