Thread: Gut
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
thingstodo
A Storm Is Coming

It would be interesting to know what you do for work that must contribute to you being such an expert on this topic. I mean, are you a trainer with proven results or a doctor or a college biology prof?

You made a pretty good attempt at debunking everything a proven athelete said, which is based on what some pretty darn good trainers out there in the world told him to do. I mean, he's won the toughest Iron Man six times but he wasn't able to make it until he got some quality outside assistance. And, I at least provided supporting documentation through someone like Allen and a major organization dedicated to fitness like Lifetime Fitness.

I'm not going to debate what you said here point-by-point. I know what a difference following these guidelines have made for me personally and for others that I have watched and discussed things with. You are certainly welcome to your opinion.

Harry...

I can't resist touching on a few points from your post.

you said...

I said that your body does not process fat better, contradicting your statement that it does. Exercise makes your body work more efficiently. But it doesn’t “process fat better.”

I said...

I disagree with what yuou said here and you've provided nothing but a widget analogy to support your point.

you said...

After reading the Mark Allen link, I’d have to say he doesn’t really understand much about what he’s talking about. He’s a great athlete, but doesn’t seem to understand how the body works. That’s not really surprising though, there are a lot of myths about exercise floating about because a lot of bodybuilders, while they look like they’d know what they’re talking about, really don’t.

I said...

Come on...he doesn't have the best trainers in the world around him so that he can win 6 Iron Mans?

you said...

Overtraining. If you read the rest of the article, no where does he mention that was the problem.

I said...

It's kind of tough to over train when you plan to ride a bike 100 miles, run 25+ and swim several more...all in one day. You've got to be able to do at least half of that in a training mode at some point to be able to do the whole thing.

you said...

Eh. Your body is never in a “chemistry that only burns” carbs. If you hooked yourself up to a gas spirometer and did a maxVO2 test, you’d find that until you got to about 97-98% of your maxHR, you’d still be burning some fats.

I said...

Well...they do hook you up at Lifetime and the AT is that point, not 98%. Some fat is very different from mostly sugar.

you said...

This is the second or third time he’s said something in this article that makes me think he’s leaving details out. Mark Allen might know a bit about exercise physiology, might not, but he says some things that make me think he’s leaving info out. Like how did his buddy come up with the 155bpm? Did his friend put him on a treadmill and test his VO2? That’s probably my biggest problem with this article.

I said...

Of course his buddy (aka trainer) tested him. That's what world class athletes do for crying out loud. Do you know who this guy is? He is the Lance of Triathalons.

you said...

Anyways, if you want to properly find your threshold, you can get a gas analysis (which if you notice on the Lifetime chart, it mentions that) or you can go based on a few days workouts and noting where your HR is when your run starts to get hard (when you “hit the wall”).

I said...

Dude...I read the chart...I'm the one that sent it to you! And by the way, my AT is 30 bpm higher (and I've been able to move it up 5 bpm over the past year) than the estimate version, which they say is just a guideline to get started.

you said...

As someone (sorry, I’m typing this at work without an internet connection and forgot who posted it) showed in the link on HIIT, studies have shown that HIIT actually more fat loss than a slower paced long session of cardio.

I said...

That comparison actually compared 30 minute sessions for both, not a longer and a shorter session.

you said...

This is just plain incorrect. Use the real definition, not your own. The more highly trained you are, the higher % of your maxHR you’ll be able to achieve and still be under your lactate threshold.

I said...

I did use the real definition...look at the chart and do the math. The more in shape you are the higher your max, so it's all the math of percentages. And I'm very clear on the fact that everyone is different. That's why there is a chart with lot's of different numbers.

you said...

when you do the high endurance stuff, you don’t need to 10-12 minutes of a 60 minute workout. If you do 60 minutes total, you may very well end up overtraining (depends on your fitness level). A good interval training session could be done in 30 minutes.

I said...

So you ass-umed that I meant 60 minutes working out and that didn't include a warm up and cool down. I consider 10 minutes warm up and 5 cool down, with more stretching folling the 60 minute session.

Again, I've provided supporting documentation from a world class athlete who has access to the best trainers in the world and a major fitness group with other top folks in their fields. You've provided only your opinions - where is your credibility? If I sound a little miffed it's because of what I say in this paragraph.

I didn't want to do this debate but I couldn't let some of the things you said go without comment. If there are typos it's because I'm not planning to proof this thing.

Now I'm finished and heading off for a two hour bike ride. I'll probably stay under my AT for most of it.

Stangers have the best candy.

Last edited by thingstodo; 07-16-2006 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73