View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
lurkette
My future is coming on

Moderator Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by krwlz
And if shes so derranged, she wont know the differance between prison, the death penalty and psychiatric care anyway....
*dingdingdingdingding* That's pretty much the rationale behind not executing the insane, the young, and the mentally retarded in the first place. (That and the fact that they are seen as unable to participate effectively in their own defense. Which brings me to...

Quote:
She clearly knows what's going on as it concerns her. Or else she might not be pleading not guilty.
She's pleading not guilty by reason of insanity. She's admitted she did it, and really it's her legal team who's acting on her behalf. She's not eligible for the death penalty in the first place, actually, as the jury in her initial trial rejected that possibility.

Quote:
And trust me,... I find him just as guilty. But unfortunatly, he isn't on trial, so I can't comment on him. Also, she didn't have the ability to say "No, I don't any more kids" It was entirely his fault??

I'm not saying he is innocent, far from it, but c'mon, people have to take responsibility for THEIR OWN ACTIONS. Everything else aside, I'm sick of people blaming what they did on someone, or something else.
There's a big difference between someone saying "I turned to a life of crime because my parents abused me" and someone being PSYCHOTIC.

Quote:
If I, as a male, raped and drowned, or even just drowned 5 kids, and then claimed god (or the devil) told me to do it, and that I didn't know right from wrong, so I should be spared punishment, my guess is you would have a totally differant opinion on me.
And you'd be wrong. If you "claimed" god or the devil told you to do it, and psychiatric evidence supported the claim that you were batshit at the time, I'd feel the same way. All the evidence agrees: she was suffering from (untreated) but already diagnosed post-partum psychosis. It's not like they cooked up this defense on a whim. She was clearly out of touch with reality. If you were psychotic or schizophrenic and shot someone because the voices in your head told you to, I'd vote for a mental institution, not prison and certainly not the death penalty.

Quote:
I'd have people vying for everything from castration, to prison for life, to death, and no one sticking up for the "mentally derranged"
You would, in fact, have people sticking up for you if you were actually "mentally deranged."

I just don't see why people are clamoring for her blood. What she did was horrific and tragic. But IMHO she deserves pity and treatment, not vengeance.

- Anatole France

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62