View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Willravel
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie667
well, thanks to this fucking internet connection, my long response is now gone, so i will paraphrase, so excuse the bluntness.
Been there. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Quote:
Its naive to say that cars do not have an effect on peoples minds and behaviour.
My naievety aside for the moment, are you suggesting that the effect of driving is copmparable to the effects of alcohol and marijuana? I beg to differ. Yes, driving can assist in the release of andorphins, adrenaline, and a slew of other chemicals as a response to stimuli, but alcohol and tetrahydrachloride are dumped into the blood stream directly, not as a result of the body releasing chemicals in response to external stumilation. Basically, it's apples (alcohol), oranges (thc), and fruit cake (driving). I see alcohol and thc as much more linked, espically if the question of legality is brought up, than either of the two and driving. Maybe I'm missing something.
Quote:
It is completly impractical to ban alcohol, whatever the medical benefits are. People will be forced to move to something else to enjoy themselves, and whos to say that won't be illegial too?
Well in the world of 'ifs', we get to play with realuity, so let's try this:
What if alcohol had been made to be illegla dn the state had stuck to it's guns, and marijuana had never been abolished, and is still legal today? We'd probably have a lot of people drinking dangerous moonshine, and eventually moving on from alcohol to other illegal drugs. The difference between this hypothetical and the real world, is that people getting drunk and possibly not understanding the consequences - consequences that we understand because we are raised in a society where alcohol is legal and taugh along with other social norms - could lead to much worse problems than marijuana could ever lead to. Not going to college and staying at your job at Blockbuster isn't as bad as beating your wife or driving drunk.

Yes, people would move on to something else to enjoy themselves if alcohol were banned. I see this as you supporting my point. Legalize marijuana and you have less people who are willing to bend their legal morals to get high. Can you imagine something like cocaine being the first illegal drug you try instead of mj? That is a HUGE step. I suspect that people would be less willing to take that step if it were so much bigger.
Quote:
Cannabis and alcohol have significantly different effects, as you stated.
That is true. I see the effects of marijuana as being less dangerous overall than the effects of alcohol. Both, in moderation, are harmless. In excess the resulyts are decidedly different.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54