View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
filtherton
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog
Wow. Now they've taken to comparing driving while drunk with driving while talking on a cellphone. Fucking pathetic.
Well, to be fair, their test results did justify the comparison between drunk driving and talking on a cell phone. Another similarity between the two is that there are plenty of drunks who insist, as you insist in terms of cell phones, that driving drunk has little effect their overall ability to drive. It's certainly true for some folks, but whether it's true for most is a matter of debate.

Quote:
Distraction? Maybe... if you are a person who can't do more than one thing at a time. I can walk and chew gum at the same time, I can pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time, and I can drive and use a phone at the same time.
Okay, but driving is actually more than one thing. Driving is several things. It is at the very least a three limbed, three sensed activity. It isn't a matter of walking and chewing gum, it's a matter of breaking, steering, looking, anticipating, listening, signalling, etc.

Maybe you're a great driver while you're talking on your cell phone. I'm sure i would have been a great driver stoned out of my mind. I know people who insist that they are great drivers when their blood alcohol level is above the legal limit. That doesn't change the fact that being drunk, being high, and yes, talking on a cell phone all make a great many people even worse drivers than they already are.

Should talking on a cell phone be outlawed while driving? I don't know. I wouldn't find it unreasonable if it were. To be honest, i'd rather get cut off by fewer people on cell phones than be able to talk casually on mine whilst driving.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54