View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #39 (permalink)
warrrreagl
pinche vato

A couple of years ago, Grancey and I were in Nashville for New Year's Eve and a bowl game. Once we got to the hotel, we climbed back into the car with some other family members who were there and the car (Olds Regency 98) suddenly sounded like a jet engine. We got out, popped the hood (none of us knew what the hell we were doing) and someone declared it might be the water pump.

The next morning (Dec. 31) I took the car to a dealership right across the street and was told that I had to have an APPOINTMENT!?! Sheesh. So, I took the car down the highway to another dealer and they agreed to look at it (it was still making the same noise). An hour later, that dealer called back and told me that the noise was a bad compressor, and it wouldn't give me any real trouble until the weather got hot and the A/C wouldn't work. HOWEVER, they DID discover that some valve or some thingy was causing coolant to leak into the oil and it would have to be repaired. $1,000, of course, or else I wouldn't make it back home.

I called a mechanic back home and told him what the guy had told me (with the guy standing right there) and my home mechanic told me it sounded plausible and that I'd better let him do the work.

So we went to Nashville for a good time and dropped $1000 before we ever got to New Year's. I've always been suspicious of that repair and this thread has dragged up some bad memories between Grancey and I. As we were driving that very same car to the grocery store yesterday, Grancey said that she plans to win the lottery and return to that dealership in Nashville. She will announce to them that she plans to buy an entire fleet of cars (with cash) and needs their help picking them all out. However, right at the point of signing the final documents, she will suddenly announce that she remembers this dealership as the one who ruined her New Year's Eve a few years ago, and she's changed her mind about all the cars.

It's amazing how many of our revenge fantasies begin with, "When we win the lottery...."

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54