View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Halx
Please touch this.

Owner/Admin
Xeph, re-upload your avatar.

I'm willing to look into the policy of closing threads, however I do want to say a couple things.

First, the users of the TFP do their own moderation. When someone posts a thread that is a repeat, I see users throwing up links to the OLD conversation and telling them to use the search button. This isn't just the mods talking.

Second, we close a thread because we allow users to get back to us with their ideas on how to make the topic better, and worthy of its own thread.

Third, in the case of starting a thread with content but no opinion, that develops into an interesting thread all by itself, we're kinda stuck. I personally consider it rude for someone to just dump an issue into our lap and say "Discuss." So, would you rather have those inclinations reinforced by letting the threads grow, thus silently "allowing" more of the same, or would you rather lock the thread and only allow it to continue if the OP agreed to add their opinion to the mix? It's a touchy subject, and a lot of people like to draw comparisons to various controlling regimes, but once again -- the community moderates itself. The users tell eachother what is expected of them. It becomes a culture.

Are there any issues that I'm leaving out here? I see what you're saying. It's like, "Ahh man, it wasn't that bad of an infraction; something good came out of it." But where do you draw the line? I hope you agree that there SHOULD be a line.

The image of the TFP is one of paradox and occasionally we must step over ourselves to acheive our goal. The first amendment may be many peoples' saving grace, but while it works for the enlightened ones, it also works for the dumb ones. Our interpretation of the freedom of speech has gotten us to where we are today, which is not a bad place.

In conclusion, if the mods are doing their job with a bad attitude, bring it to me. If the defined duties of their job are making you uncomfortable, are you sure it would be better if it were different?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54