View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
analog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege
Analog DID mention that if the OP pms him a new opening post, he will re-open the thread, which I think is fair. The whole point is to provide your experience/thoughts/whatever even if you have few/none. "I've never had DP but I interested in it because _________" etc.
For the record, i'd like to note that pretty much all threads I close for this reason, whether I announce it or not, gets a PM AND an email to the opening poster.

If not, It's because i've posted the link to the "ALL MEMBERS- READ ME ABOUT POSTING ARTICLES!" sticky at the bottom of the thread.

From the sticky: "It's not hard- and if you really can't come up with something to say about it, it can't really be something to discuss, now can it?"

It's not a difficult concept. The rules have been in place as part of the rules of the TFP for a very long time. That sticky just mentioned was created as a wake-up call due to the extremely low number of people following this very basic request.

We understand that everyone wants their questions answered, and we understand that everyone is entitled to think their question is of merit. The problem is, this is a discussion board. It behooves you to create conversations, because that is what the TFP has always been great at, and it's one of its strongest assets. At the very core, the heart, of the TFP is respect and communication. Discussions are very rarely born of one-liners and short curiosities like, "hey i came across this last night while I was on the internets, what do you think?"

I also understand that many of you have been here for a little while, some much more than others- but if there's one thing I can tell you for a FACT, it's this... and here's the shocker...

Every time this issue comes up, from time to time, I take a quick (informal) survey of the public profiles of the people who are supportive, and the people who are voicing opposition to this policy. And you know what? People with the most participation? They're thankful for it. They're happy we do it. They're supportive of it because they KNOW what such threads do to the community. The people with the most vocal dissent? These are those members who rarely post. Those who may have been around for a little bit, but have a 0.4 post-per-day average... after having been a member for a year and five months. Real world creeps in, not everyone wants to write a volume in every single thread they come across.... but it's very telling, and very consistent, the correlation between the members I recognize and are participating, with support, and the people who are hardly around who are the most vocal (or the ones who are at all vocal) to oppose it.

This does not, of course, apply to everyone who offers support or dissent- but it's an overwhelming, and constantly repeating majority.

Not to mention, the people who write and constantly reconsider the foundation rules of this board... the admins... the long-standing super moderators... have seen the issue over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. And you know what? If it wasn't detrimental to discussion, we'd have changed the rule by now. We don't make up rules as we go for no reason, pull them from our collective asses, or make rules just to piss you all off. Our rules, like any rules, come from a need. The need for this rule is to preserve the cornerstone of any community... communication.

The bottom line is... I'm sorry if you feel it's harsh... but we've seen it more times than you could possibly imagine, and they just don't work. Also, this rule has been in the TFP rules for a very long time. It's not new to any of you- especially considering you're supposed to read the rules of the site when you join. When you hit that "accept" button, it's not a "ok i've scrolled to the bottom of the page, now where's the button to keep going" button, it's the "i've read and understood the very easy rules you've set for us" button.

If you have any questions on any rules, you are always welcome to PM any Mod for help. Just pick one you see on the boards, and maybe you like or at least recognize, and see if we can help you.

If you have any questions specifically on what I've said here, you are more than welcome to PM me to discuss it.

- analog.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73