View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderedmaggot
Why do moderators feel it necessary to lock a thread that is getting responses? Sure, occasionally an initial post does not have the posters opinion/experience but his next post often explaines a little more why he/she was posting. Perhaps he/she was testing the waters to see if others had the same viewpoint as his/her own. Perhaps he/she did not want to post his/her viewpoint for fear of being ridiculed. If one can not ask questions in an open forum such as this how will they find the knowledge they seek but to try a different forum?

If a thread is getting responses it will stay active until it is played out, if it gets no responses it quickly slides onto page 2 and is likely forgotten. If the participants in a forum can not speak freely and easily due to excessive moderation the "community" will suffer . I've noticed that the TFP is not the thriving site it once was. Perhaps others, like myself, do not like being condecended to and told what we can or can not post/read.

I'm not saying I want a forum with no moderation but perhaps you should think twice before locking down potentially lively threads.

Anyone else here have an opinion they'd like to share?
The TFP goes through cycles, right now, it is less active because most of the participants are college aged people. We have rules and guidelines for how to post a thread based on the founder of the site, if you can't abide by our rules then by all means no one forces you to come here.

Let me clarify for you some of your questions:
  1. We ask for people to SEARCH before posting a thread, if a thread has to be revived from the past, it gets revived.
  2. We ask for people to POST their opinions instead of just solicitiing other's.
  3. We ask that members DO NOT RIDICULE other members.
These guidelines were handed down to us by the founder and owner admin Halx. The moderators all agree on lots of these things and most of the closures are discussed by several moderators more often than not.

If you don't like them, you should discuss them with him.

To answer your sig: But who shall moderate the moderators?

Halx does. He's the final word here.

ADDED IN EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderedmaggot
So you're saying that newbs do not have the right to ask a question?

Take a look at the DP thread that was posted for example. The initial poster posted a little more info after being prodded. The thread was at 7 replies before it was locked. It likely would have gone on to achieve a much hight count given a chance. That would only mean one thing, the members are interested.

I agree with the incredibly redundant argument to a degree. How many times do we need to hear someone asking about thier breakup? On the other hand sometimes a repetative tread will bring about new life to a subject that bumping an existing played out thread will not. Often these are locked just as they are getting going. If you've replied to a subject and don't want to participate again it is your perogative to keep quiet if you wish. If you want the community to grow you've got to allow the members a measure of freedom or they will fade away. If no one is interested in a thread because it has been beaten to death previously it will quickly slide to obscurity without the help of the lock.
The OP shouldn't have to be prodded to get more information out of them, there are plenty of threads that the OP doesn't ever post in again. It's not fair to the community for the "Who did it and ran" approach to posting.

If you expect someone to open up their thoughts then you have to be willing to share yours. It's not that far fetched, it's simple currency to trade. A discussion doesn't happen if it's ONE SIDED. If you go to somewhere and someone asks you your opinion on something and says they just want to know your opinion for a survey, well that's dandy, you'll know that walking into it.

But here we try to get people to know each other, not just have lists of discussion questions without the OP bothering to let a little about themselves out as well. Otherwise, why don't we just use a book like "Complete Book of Questions, The : 1001 Conversation Starters for Any Occasion" or "4,000 Questions for Getting to Know Anyone and Everyone" to pose questions for people to answer? Why don't we do such a thing? How different would it be than one of those lists that generates something like "You're Legolas!"

Part of evolution is learning how to evolve, how to interact, how to stretch yourself from your comfort zone.

And sometimes, we don't bother to lock a thread because we know that it's going to just fall to the bottom.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

Last edited by Cynthetiq; 05-18-2006 at 07:18 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73