View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
billege
Watcher

I think one of the ideas that should be brought up is how we'd hope the conversation would go.

In this example, let's say I'm a "normal looking" white male with a camera bag, big digital SLR, and I'm taking pictures in a public park. You come up to me and ask why/what I'm taking pictures of.
You start:

"Hey buddy, what are you doing with that camera?"

"Hi there. I'm an amatur photographer, and I'm taking pictures of the kids at play for a "City Life" series I'm posting on my blog."

"You selling those pictures?"

"No, I just post the best ones on my blog."

"Oh, okay. I was wondering what was up."

"That's cool."

"I'd prefer you don't take pictures of my kids."

"I suppose I can handle that. Can you ask them to stay on the opposite side from the swing set, I'm shooting that right now."

"Sure, thanks!"

"You got it."

Now, that's one way it could go. Or, it could go like this:

"I'd prefer you don't take pictures of my kids."

"I suppose I can handle that. Can you ask them to stay on the opposite side from the swing set, I'm shooting that right now."

"FU buddy, they can play where they want."

"Well, then they might be in a shot."

"FU buddy, stop taking pictures."

"No, FU, take your kids out of the public space if you don't want them in it."

etc.

All things considered, there's two ways to the "respect" street. If you ask me to not take pics of your kids and I try to respect your request, you should pay some respect back. That's how things work.

Honestly, I'd be suprised if a parent questioned a photog, recieved a legit answer, and decided to be an ass about it. Then again, with people today...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54