View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Gatorade Frost
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaya
Just a note to clarify: English doesn't even make the top 10 for number of speakers of native languages...
Huh? It's the 3rd one on the list right below Chinese and Spanish. I'm confused.

Quote:
But I'm curious, do you have friends from all classes as well as cultures? I have a feeling that most middle-class Americans don't associate much with lower-class people of color... which means that most of our country is not "well rounded" at all.
In regards to class, no, I don't have too wide of a friendship base for lower class, or upper class for that matter. It's not because I look down on them, but the interests that I'd share with a lower class person would be wildly different. If they were into video games and roleplaying and the like I wouldn't even notice the distinction between classes. It's just a matter of interest and personality, really.

Quote:
We don't even know how to locate where 1,000 people died last fall... even after it was broadcast and written up in the news for weeks and months afterwards. I find that reprehensible.
I think most people could tell you it was Louisiana. Being able to pin point the state doesn't seem that important so long as you know what happened there.

Quote:
And if 70,000 people died in an earthquake in Louisiana, would it still be a "blip" on the map, like Katrina apparently was? Hmph.
Katrina wasn't a 'blip' on my map. I'm in Texas and we've had students from all over LA coming to school here at A&M. I helped house people in our basketball arena. What happened in LA was a lot more influential and important to me than what happened in Pakistan because it happened right next door and I was directly effected by it. If it happened in California I would pay attention, but it would affect me like it would to people in Nevada and Oregon. I don't think that's particularly a negative, it's just natural that the more distant it is the less important it is to me personally. That's not to say that it's not important, but while that's happening 2000 miles away, life still goes on where I am and there's still things to be done.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."
Emo Philips

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54