View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 06:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by highthief
Actually, you said: "When I was in the Philippines before the last movie played in a theater they play their national anthem. I didn't want to stand up for it, but it was suggested that I do so lest I get an ass beating. The same was for when living in Singapore, I stood respectfully and quietly as I would expect someone else to do so for my national anthem."

So, from this statement, you sure are expecting them to stand, yet you resisted standing yourself.

IMO, you stand for a national anthem - I'm not American but if I go to a sporting event in the US, for example, and they play the anthem, I sure as heck stand. It's a sign of respect. I might not hold my hand over my heart or salute the flag, as these are gestures for American citizens, but I will stand for the anthem.
sorry, I see where the error is, I *SAT* is the correct words and action. my apologies.

I do not stand for some other country's anthem.

It's not mine to stand for. From what I can recall, if you are in a foreign country and you are consistently seen as saluting another nation's flag/anthem, then your citizenship can be questioned and possibly revoked.

Quote:
Citizenship is defined as a relationship between an individual and a country involving the person’s allegiance and membership to that country. You can lose your U-S citizenship whether you’re native or naturalized for several reasons. For example, if you voluntarily undergo naturalization or take an oath of allegiance to another government or country, you could lose your citizenship. Unauthorized service in foreign armed forces, certain employment by a foreign government, voting in a foreign election, formal declaration of your desire to terminate citizenship, desertion, treason, and avoiding the draft are also reasons you might be stripped of your U-S citizenship.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62