View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
raeanna74
I'm not a blonde! I'm knot! I'm knot! I'm knot!

Wikipedia

It would be nice if people would quit trying to say that since the U.S. does not have an official language it's wrong to ask people to speak the majority language. Especially those who get angry that most American Citizens don't speak the language of many illegal immigrants. Why should we have to cater to people who are breaking our laws??

Quote:
The United States does not have an official language; nevertheless, American English (referred to in the US as simply English) is the language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements. Additionally, one must demonstrate an ability to read, write, and speak English to become a naturalized citizen. Many individual states and territories have also adopted English as their official language:

* Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming

Several states and territories are officially bilingual:

* Louisiana (English and French),
* New Mexico (English and Spanish),
* Hawaii (Hawaiian English and Hawaiian),
* Puerto Rico (Spanish and English),
* Guam (Chamorro and English),
* American Samoa (Samoan and English);

And one is officially trilingual:

* Northern Mariana Islands (English, Chamorro, and Carolinian).

Until the 1950s, Pennsylvania was officially bilingual in English and German.

Native American languages are official or co-official on many of the US Indian reservations and pueblos.

In 2000, the census bureau printed the standard census questionnaires in six languages: English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese (in traditional characters), Vietnamese, and Tagalog. The English-only movement seeks to establish English as the only official language of the entire nation.
According to a poll done in 2000 -
82.105% of families in the U.S. speak English in their home.
10.710% speak Spanish at home.
There are other languages spoken in the home but these are the most common.

I have no problem with the National Anthem being interpreted so that people in other nations or speaking other languages can understand what it says and means. To do it in order to encourage people to stay in the U.S. (especially those who are here illegally) is just wrong. You come to the U.S. You either learn the majority language or function without it but don't expect the majority to cater to you. It just isn't feasible.

Last edited by raeanna74; 04-30-2006 at 06:00 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62