View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Gatorade Frost
Rookie

Ultimately I think the human spirit can pretty much resolve any problem we're having. At some point in time there were other problems that were as bad or worse than they are (Cold War anyone?), so regardless of everything that's going on I think it'll eventually be fixed.

1. Violent crime

I don't particularly live in a violent area. I think both the police department and a public's ability to defend itself is important. While violent crime will always be around, it's nothing new and nothing to be of any more worry than normal. Just be smart and be safe.

2. Running out of oil.

I think once we buckle down and it comes to crunch time, some one will come up with a sufficient source of energy to run the world with. It'll just take time and research to get it done, I think.

3. Global warming.

I believe in global warming, but I find the doomsday situations to be hard to believe. There are general changes in the earth's temperature and we've only be accurately checking it for 60 years or so. If the ice caps all melt and things going underwater, well, I'm sure there will be a big supply of boats and basically oil-rig like cities. It's not too hard to concieve in my opinion. Regardless of the weather conditions I think we'll be able to adapt to it without much problem.

4. Terrorism.

Understandable. This is a serious problem that should be (and is being) taken care of and dealt with. Not necessarily for the general public but also because terrorism can not be tolerated in current society.

5. Virus X.

Well, you can worry about it, but if it happens it will be inevitable, and if it wipes out all of the human race, then damn, sucks to be us. I find it hard to believe that a virus could kill off billions of people easily. Sure it will probably spread quickly, but with the medical technology there will be some way to stop the spread of the virus and ultimately stop it. Look at the st rides that have been controlling AIDS and the like.

6. Plane crashes.

I don't fly. That's my biggest fear. I know it shouldn't bother me because I understand the physics of flying, and I fly a lot, but given a choice no thank you. It's completely irrational though.

7. Running out of money.

A realistic issue to deal with. I think like it's been done in the past, the age of retirement will just keep getting higher. This generation right now, the baby boomers, will be a potential problem, but once that's passed I don't honestly believe there's that big of a chance that we're all going to run out of money. Society's retirement will just have to change so make due for how old people are able to live and work.

8. Stock market collapse.

No doubt. The stock market has collapsed, but it's also gone back up again. I find it hard to believe that a stock market crash would be permanent beyond a few year recession. The market has become so global that while the collapse of the American stock markets would effect the world, everything's so intertwined that things will pick right back up again somewhere else while the US stock market rebuilds itself and gets back in the game.

9. Dollar's collapse

No idea about this one. It could happen. I don't personally believe it would because of how it would effect the rest of the world, but if it does, it will probably just mean a shift in society to a different currency. There's a lot to be made from all the brains in America. They'll find a way to bounce back.

10. Asteroid hitting the Earth

Yeah. It's inevitable that it will happen. If it does, we'll deal with it for the few years it takes and then things will start normalising again. Once again, I find a complete earth destruction to be far fetched.

11. Nuclear war. Iran, North Korea, Pakistan/India, or some terrorist starts a nuclear war.

Any country that starts a nuclear war will be over within the blink of an eye. If it happens, it happens and the rest of the world will lay the smack down on whatever country started it.

12. Obesity epidemic

Education, education, education. People will always be obese, but with what we're learning and all of that I think that in a few years that trend will reverse. People will start eating healthier again since healthy options will be out there more so than they were 5 years ago.

13. Natural disaster. Volcano, earthquake, hurricane, flood...

It's inevitable. If it happens, we'll fix it and keep on going.

14. kidnapping/hostage taking. Mainly in foreign countries.

Yeah, I wouldn't go to a country with a high chance of my kidnapping, like, you know, Iraq or South America.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."
Emo Philips

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54