View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 05:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
little_tippler
Leaning against the -Sun-

Super Moderator
Once I was on the highway and passed what appeared to be a parked car on the hard shoulder in flames. There was no-one around and it was night time, and except for other passing cars there was no-one. So I called "911" (it's 112 here) and they said someone had already called it in and it was just a broken down car that had either been set on fire or it had started on its own somehow.

I have a rule never to stop on a busy road if I can help it. I have a friend whose young cousin got out of a car with friends to help an old lady whose car had broken down, on a pretty normal local road. It was night time. Some asshole speeding and drunk came down that road while they were pushing the car to try and start it and slammed into them. My friend's cousin went into a coma with several injuries, but since he was young his body survived. He's in a coma several years later with no real hope of ever waking again, but his body still keeps him alive, even with no machines hooked up.

My mom also has a friend who got out of her car to help someone on the side of a road and another car whose driver was obviously not paying attention came and hit the other car and crushed her between the two. She lost the use of her legs.

I will only stop if I think I can make a real difference, or won't get killed or injured in the process. You never know what could happen, you could get hurt or killed too, in the process of saving someone, or by others like the case of my friend's cousin, or it could even just be a hoax to get you to stop.

Call me selfish...but life is pretty fragile and I like being alive - and complete.
Our soul from us is infinitely far.
However much we give our thoughts the will
To be our soul and gesture it abroad,
Our hearts are incommunicable still.
In what we show ourselves we are ignored.
The abyss from soul to soul cannot be bridged
By any skill of thought or trick of seeming.
Unto our very selves we are abridged
When we would utter to our thought our being.
We are our dreams of ourselves, souls by gleams,
And each to each other dreams of others' dreams.

Fernando Pessoa, 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54