View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Jinn
Lover - Protector - Teacher

Buuuuuuurrrn..

Hopefully I don't become so old that everything people say has to offend me. In an ideal world, people would learn that taking offense at other's actions is nothing more than a waste of time. What intrinsic value does it have?

If I say something blatantly offensive, you can choose whether to take offense or whether to ignore it. My personal belief is that the mature person ignores it, and the immature person takes offense. Further extending this idea, I can assume that if I say something offensive and am in mature company, that I should not have to worry about causing true offense. Am I missing something?

For example:

If I know that saying cunt offends you, and I say it; would it not be silly to actually BE offended by it? It affords me a control over you that you shouldn't be allowing me to have, especially sice I don't have your best interests in mind, attempting to offend you. By ignoring it, you pacify my attempt to offend, and it becomes useless. My argument would further continue that most people understand this, and disregard the opinions of those they find to be offensive. The next logical conclusion is that I should only worry about offending if I'm afraid the offended person will then ignore me in the future.

And thus I return to my original idea; if someone is going to take the close-minded approach and ignore me(yes, it is still close-minded, regardless of its prevalence) then I really don't care if they ignore me, and similarly dont care if I offend.
"I'm typing on a computer of science, which is being sent by science wires to a little science server where you can access it. I'm not typing on a computer of philosophy or religion or whatever other thing you think can be used to understand the universe because they're a poor substitute in the role of understanding the universe which exists independent from ourselves." - Willravel

Last edited by Jinn; 04-17-2006 at 08:22 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54