View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
james t kirk
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleInTheDark
1. We should not disvalue the aboriginal way of life simply because they are a minority
Since when is the seal hunt an "aboriginal way"

And that would be fine if the aboriginals were living a lifestyle similar to what they were doing 500 years ago, but the fact of the matter is that if anything, they are simply using the fact that they are aboriginal to skirt around conservation rules and regulations. They (the aboriginals) are making this an industry for themselves. Plain and simple it's about money.

You can't tell me that aboriginals were killing 350,000 seal pups 500 years ago.

Nice try.

Same with the lobster fishing in NB. It's very lucrative and easy and the natives want to just go in there win abandon and throw regulation into the wind and make all the bucks they can.

Quote:
2. The absolute quota number does not matter as long as the harvest is ecologically sustainable
15 years ago, the seal hunt was wiping out the seal population and had to be called off before Tobin reinstated it.

How is it that you feel that this is ecologically sustainable.

Quote:
3. Seal meat is eaten by aboriginals. It'd probably be easier to find a market for seal meat if PETA and the Sea Shepard weren't spreading propaganda.
They don't eat that much seal meat. 99% of it gets tossed overboard.

Even the pet food companies don't want it.

Quote:
4. An area can be economically healthy and still have impoverished peoples. Aboriginals and fishers generally are impoverished in Atlantic Canada.
Time to move to somewhere that's not impovrished.

Last time I read, Tim Hortons in Calgary was paying $14.00 per hour cause they can't keep people.

I'm sorry, but economies change. Used to be a huge market for horse buggy manufacturers, but the automobile pretty much ended that. If you don't want to end up in the cold, you find a different line of work.

I get tired of hearing people think that they are somehow entitled to live in a certain way and in a certiain place and that the world should bend around them.

As far as I am aware, NFLD has a huge off shore oil thing happening right now, as well as a nickel thing. Danny Williams was in the Globe and Mail today writing about the booming NFLD economy and the offshore oil bonanza.

Impovrished?

Not unless you want to be.

Quote:
5. Is fur any less valuable a commodity than meat? I would rather use natural materials to make waterproof clothing than environmentally damaging plastic clothing. There is nothing inhumane about the way the seals are killed; 90% are taken by rifle, the remaining 10% are traditional with clubs and hakapiks.

Hunting of whitecoats (harp seals) and bluebacks (hooded seals) has been banned since 1987. Harp seals abandon their young around the same time they start moulting, so would this be similar to the seal being a young adult?
The seal pups are killed at 12 days and up. At that time, they can not swim and make easy targets for the Earls on the ice.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62