View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #36 (permalink)
kielvsworld
Upright

Living in PHX/Tempe border on South Mountain, so yes, there are plenty of mountains here (which is is why it's known as the valley of the sun, without sounding like a smart ass, valleys are flatlands surrounded by mountains and peaks).

The heat sucks, that's for sure. Someone said PHX is just one giant suburb, and is %100 correct. The entire city is setup in 1x1 mile grids with almost always atleast two or three lane roads. The Freeway system does a pretty good job too. Public transporation is evolved into an extensive system of buses and soon (2008/9) there will be a light rail system running from North-ish PHX through south scottsdale, tempe, and west mesa. It should be a boon but I'm betting it'll be used just as much as other street level metro's like the one being used in Houson (ie, not much). PHX will probably always be locked into car culture. Other than that, It's pretty nice, safe in the newer areas (look at Chandler/Awhatukee/Gilbert in the east and probably avondale/glendale/north scottdsale..basically I'm just describing the outer suburbs. Yes, did I mention this place is wicked hot in the summer months?

Housing prices are high, but if you don't like the problems of Vegas or socal, phx has alot to offer. I should mention downtown PHX isn't really that special, something I find strange after visiting other typically smaller cities with huge impressive downtowns. Just south of PHX downtown is a terribly poor and depressed area, I mean a stones throw from the stadiums it gets really bad, all the way south to the mountain, although, it is getting much better and as the area has grown it should only continue to do so.

One thing that does bother me more and more is the pollution, because it's very difficuilt for mother nature to clear it out with the lack of any ocean breezes or rain for that matter.

PHX is a few hours from SD, Mexico or LV, all places I drive to (just came back from SD two weeks ago for spring break) and the flights are cheap too.

Anyways, I like the place and have lived here since 92, can't say if if or when I'll move.

OH, if you do move or stay here in the summer months, it's really not that hot, the humidity is very low, so it's not like you feel like your going to die (which is what you feel like in TX or OH or any of the places ppl described.) The problem is when you get into your car, put on your seat belt and give yourself 3rd *f'in* degree burns from the seatbelt, try to grab the stearing wheel only to give yourself more 3rd *f'in* degree burns on your hands.. You have to be smarter than the heat and prepare for it..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62