View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 05:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho Dad
Mulletproof

Inspired by Bobby's Rock Festival Photos

Over in Tilted Photography, Bobby has a couple of posts of some 1970s rock festivals he attended.

http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showthread.php?t=102383
http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showthread.php?t=102358

They have a few views and a few comments. Everyone seems to like them that has commented thus far. I remember in grade school as a kid we had social studies books that had photos of some festival (likely Woodstock) and to a young boy of about nine or ten I figured the "social studies book factory" had some guy taking pictures. Of course when I got older I realized that these text book companies likely get stock photos from various sources. But still... Here are some pictures recording a significant era in history by the tfp's own Bobby. Certainly he had no idea that he would one day post them on a medium such as The Internet. And perhaps he had no idea he would be caturing something that people would take an interest in decades later.

I was reading in a local paper recently about a fellow who took many old home movies during the 50s and 60s of common everyday scenes around his school, town, home, etc. His father was able to afford a home movie camera that he ordered from Sears or Montgomery Ward and was not able to figure out how to operate it. The son however took right to it and recorded everyday life in a small town which years later proved to be of interest to many.

Charlatan's thread where he takes pictures with his cell phone and then shares them here may some day evolve into something like this I'd imagine.

I don't mean to break some kind of rule by starting yet another thread to discuss these other threads. I'm interested in what others may think about the recording of history by common everyday people. How many more of you may have important photographic depictions of our generation on film, on disk, in a drawer, on video tape?

Somewhere today I can't help but think that a future oscar winner is being videotaped in a school play, a Superbowl MVP was videotaped this past season scoring a touchdown or an aspiring politician was recorded at a highschool debate tournament.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62