View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Trisk
Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbungle
I don't find this very disturbing at all. It is a school, and they decided to ban a play to avoid controversy. How negatively will this effect anyone's lives? Probably not very, unless they blow it out of proportion, which it appears is already the case. We all know how easy it is for schools to get in to trouble nowadays for the smallest little thing.

If the government banned the play from being performed ever again in the theater, that would be one thing - but a school making it's own decision? That's another thing entirely. The fact that this is big news is what I find somewhat disturbing.

And, um, I fail to find the relevance of, "that fuck Bush" running the country. What in God's name are you talking about? And Nazi Germany? Are we on the same planet?
The problem with this is that in small religious communities, censorship of this sort is a growing occurance. While it may not sound that bad when we're talking about one play, the things that the play was banned for are rediculous, and they also mentioned the burning/banning of hundreds of books here.
All this does is puts shades on the eyes of children who are growing up in a world that is very different than what they are seeing. If they go off to college or decide to move in the future for some sort of job opportunity, many of them are going to go into a culture shock and get burned pretty badly. These are the types of teenagers that end up meeting with strangers from the internet and getting raped/killed. These are the types of teenagers that get into the most trouble in the stupidest ways.

While it may not be the government that is banning these things, these people, raised in a completely skewed and ignorant view of what the real world is like, are the people voting to choose our government officials. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really want people who aren't even ALLOWED by the community to read about different viewpoints or different lifestyles to be choosing my leaders.

Um...that said, don't these people have TVs? How can people sit there, straight-faced, banning shows like Grease at school, when The O.C. is one of the most watched television shows right now? A show where 15 year old girls are drinking, smoking pot, manipulating people, and urging older boys to have sex with her despite their doubts about the age difference.

I agree with you that the original poster was completely off the mark in saying things like "that fuck Bush" and "Nazi Germany".
Hello people, Nazi Germany was not the only place in history with extreme censorship. Why does everyone refer back to that? Why not, "Communist Russia" or "China right now" or even just saying "It's almost as if these communities are under totalitarian rule"?
And remarks like that about "that fuck Bush" really have no place in this post. That statement weakens the point of your post incredibely. Whatever your opinions may be about Bush, he has nothing to do with this group of people. If anything, just criticize religious people, because that's what makes most of them do these things you don't like. Bush is religious. These people are religious. Other than that, there is no connection.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73