View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
maleficent
Junkie

Moderator Emeritus
Spelling Bee Stories

F-U-R-I-O-U-S over spelling bee ruling
Quote:
RENO, Nevada (AP) -- She spelled it right. The judge said it was wrong. And she's not getting a second chance.

Reno, Nevada, eighth-grader Sara Beckman spelled "discernible" correctly during a spelling bee Tuesday at the University of Nevada, Reno. But the judge rang the bell anyway.

Her parents are furious, but organizers say they had to protest the call immediately. They say they waited until the bee was over to avoid interrupting.

A school spokesman likens it to a referee's call in an NFL game. The protest has to come before the next play starts.

Sara says she'd just like another chance, since it's her last spelling bee.

Her mother, Cindy, calls herself a "momma bear with her bear claws out" and is ready to go to court.

The school spokesman says he hopes everybody can sit down together and work something out. He says defending a lawsuit over a spelling bee isn't a good way to spend school district money.
The stupidity of this story made me chuckle.. but figure - hey let's talk about your own spelling bee stories... were you the district champ? get blown out in the first round? Do you remember what word you got knocked out on?

Back when I was a youngin' in 8th grade - I made it thru the school spelling bee, then to the county spelling bee... I was in the regional spelling bee... and thinkin' I'm hot shit... It's like the fourth or fifth round and I come up... my word is CAFETERIA... Only the person giving me the word had a pretty thick NJ accent (me being from NJ and all) and she pronounced it CAFERTERIA... And that's what I spelled... And i went down in flames...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54