View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bill O'Rights
will always be an Alyson Hanniganite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467
I am for a nationalized healthcare, however, I don't believe it should be government that pays 100%.

I think all healthcare should be provided equally but on a sliding scale equal to one's income and ability to pay.

In other words if I make $30,000, $50,000 or so on a year I should be entitled to the same medical resources as one who makes a million or 10 million. But for that care I should pay the same percentage of my income.
Ok...I can climb on board with that.
Quote:
With the only considerations being dependants, if I have 5 kids, I should pay less of my income percentage than someone with no kids or dependants.
Nope...ya lost me here. Having 5 kids was yourchoice...not mine. Why do you get a "break", or any type of compense, for that matter. You want a lot of kids? Great. I'm all for it. Knock your socks off. Just don't expect me to pick up any of the cost.
Quote:
I truly believe the 3 most important things to keep a society prosperous and moving forward are:

Education - an educated workforce = higher paying jobs = better tax base

Healthcare - a healthy worker is a productive worker and it takes the burden off the companies that are losing their asses trying to pay medical insurance for their workers and retirees.

Manufacturing - a company that manufactures what they need and relies less on other countries is far stronger and more stable than one who has to buy and runs into debts with another country.
Ok...lets address this by point;
Education. Yes...to a point. As an employer, I do not need a "bolt turner" to have a college degree, earning 60K per year. As much as we may hate to admit it, we will always need those that are incapable of, or unmotivated enough, to do anything more than utter "You want fries with that?". Nor do I feel that these people should have a degree in English Lit, or Philosophy, or what-have-you, commanding higher salaries thus driving up the cost of my Big Mac.

Healthcare. No argument there. I agree. I want my "bolt turner" concentrating on turning bolts, not worrying about how he's going to pay for a family member's illness.

Manufacturing. You're being far to simplistic to get into here. There is a much broader picture to this painting, and you're focusing on a single brush stroke.

Quote:
I think if we can control healthcare, make it possible for people to afford and companies to not worry about that expense, jobs may come back to the US. But as long as a company has to worry about their medical insurance rates going up 16-25-50% a year, they are hurting and can never truly realize their hiring potentials.
Again, that's just one facet of the overall problem, albeit a very large facet.

"Hedonism with rules isn't hedonism at all, it's the Republican party." - JumpinJesus

It is indisputable that true beauty lies within...but a nice rack sure doesn't hurt.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73