View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gatorade Frost
Rookie

I doubt this is exactly the kind of response you were looking for, but I just started going to college this fall and had a lot of questions on how to sort through the learning aspect and how I could be successful.

I tend to read the chapter that we're learning about the night before or the morning of, then going to class will cement into your mind the important parts of the lesson and clarify what you didn't quite understand.

It also helps to make sure you understand all of the images in whatever you're reading; if you're preparing for a science class, be sure to know all of the diagrams and how they work. This has helped me tremendously in figuring out my Atmospheric Science class.

And finally, flash cards. If I can't learn something by reading it and having it stick, I sit there and drill it in with flash cards. Every section's vocabulary, concepts, etc. Just make yourself learn it. It's frustrating, but it's helped me.

Oh yeah, and don't forget acronyms like:

BASMOQ (Baz-mock)
British Columbia
Alberta
Saskatchewan
Manitoba
Ontario
Quebec

It sounds kind of dumb, but if you can associate vocabulary with words or acronym phrases it will help you remember the vocabulary, and the order if it's important.

While this isn't necessarily an explanation on how people learn, but it is an example of how I myself learn.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."
Emo Philips

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54