View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Martian
Young Crumudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleficent
Any time women are objectified, it takes away from other accomplishments that they have achieved, they are being known for their breasts, or butt, or other body part rather than what they have achieved. Maybe these two women are the high scorers on the team, or have scored more goals than anyone in the state, or have broken some long standing school record, but instead of celebrating their accomplishments.. all they get is a cheesey shot of their breasts in a very unflattering bra.
I disagree.

See, what you're essentially saying here is that they are objectified (by men) and this takes away from their accomplishments (in the eyes of men). I have to assume that is the general intent being conveyed because a) men are the predominant group interested in their breasts and butts and therefore the predominant group to fixate on that and b) you say 'any time women are objectified' without specifying and subgroups of women. Since you're classifying the entire gender and it's very difficult for the gender to objectify itself I have to assume that it's men who are partaking in this behaviour.

My problem with this is that it doesn't give me and my fellow man a whole hell of a lot of credit. You're essentially saying that I'm going to see her tits and fixate, without even bothering to read the article. Completely ignoring the fact that while thse two young women are very pretty the piture is hardly sexual at all and quite chaste in my opinion, I don't see my entire gender as the sort to see it, say 'hey, boobs!' and forget how to use our frontal lobes. There are very probably men who do this, sure, but it's not all men. And just as you don't want to be objectified due to the ations of these two women I don't want to be penalized due to the actions of those men among us who can't look past a little T&A.

This, IMO, is a major issue with the feminist movement in general. It seems that the feminist movement attempts to deny sexuality in favour of other merits. The reality is there's no reason why they can't be successfully integrated. Why can't I pick up that paper because of the two pretty girls in (what I consider to be) a humourous spoof and then read about how one of them scored the game winning goal when I open it?

As for the headline, four good reasons... well, yeah, it's a double-entendre and therefore indirectly refers to their breasts. That's how double-entendres work. That doesn't necessarily diminish from the accomplishments of the two girls involved. Such a statement can't accurately be made without reading the referenced article.
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73