View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 PM   #49 (permalink)
Willravel
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xepherys
Ah, I so disagree... I think the recent (two decades or so) of child violence has increased BECUASE parents can't beat their kids anymore and school don't implement corporal punishment. Shit like this happened WAY less in the 50's and WAY less still in the 30s. Back then, if you caught your son kicking the family dairy cow, that kid was gonna get lashed until he had welts. Chances are, he's NEVER do it again. Fuck therapy. Fuck blaming parents. Fuck assuming everything is a result of the environment.
I couldn't disagree more, espically coming from a family of therepists. Everyu day my mother (Dr. in psychology) has to deal with child abuse and the effects of child abuse on the children. There are no positives to beating a child, and there are a plethera of negatives. Let me give you an example: My grandfather beat my uncle on a regular basis both because he was beaten as a child and becuase of alcoholism. My uncle was not deterred by the violence, as it went on from the age of 5 until he left the house at 18. If your theory was correct, he would have stopped dioing whatever my grandfather thought he was doing wrong and the beatings would have stopped. My uncle is now in therepy because he has beaten his kids, my cousins. He stopped, thankfully, but it still happened. Chances are, you either don't have kids (no experience), or you're an abusive parent (you are inside of the problem and therefore do not have the perspective to see it rationally).
Quote:
Originally Posted by xepherys
Sorry, this kind of thing pisses me off as much, or maybe even MORE than the OPs topic. Children need to learn right from wrong. Yes, most of the time explaining things and trying to be "mature" about it is the best approach. Sometimes a good ass kicking is what it takes. Sure, there's always been violence... but there's more of it in kids when parents can't use the time honored, thousands-year old tradition of the switch. Ever hear "Spare the rod, spoil the child?" Well, there are a lot of spoiled asshole kids out there that never learn right from wrong. Why do so many people fail to see this today?
I can understnad that someone who advocates beating children can be made mad very easily and can become enraged at the drop of a hat. Spoiled kids are so spoiled not because they are not beaten, but because they are either punished inconsistantly, or not at all. There are many approriate punishments for kids that do not involve your fists. I hope you know that.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76