View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
maleficent
Junkie

Moderator Emeritus
Oooh ...
This is a true story...

I was working in a building on the east side of manhattan.. in one of the floors above ours there was a talk radio station... and occassionally there'd be celebrity spottings in the building.

One morning, I was coming into work.. and got in the elevator.. door had almost closed when a hand reached out and stopped it... A tall gentleman got on the elevator, not particularly well dressed, and pressed the floor where the radio station was.

I looked up... and it didn't really register who it was... (all the years I lived in new york, the only celeb I've ever been able to spot at the time of the spotting was mick)

I was the typical new yorker, ignored him and stared at the numbers on the elevator... we go about 18 floors and the elevator makes a god awful creaking sound, followed by a whistle then a groan... Now i'm expecting to be hurtling 18 floors to the ground but we just stopped there.. .and the lights went out.. the only light on was a small emergency light whcih gave a lovely red hue to the elevator.

I'm thankful at this point that the elevator isn't crowded and tht I have a jumbo cup of coffee with me (though this becomes another concern later) I'm saying a small prayer that my companion isn't an axe murderer.

Two hours into this ordeal, I'm trying to chat with my elevator companion, but even then, I wasn't a chatter... and I still had no idea who this guy was... I'm also realizing that the jumbo coffee was a huge mistake and I have to pee...

Another hour later, the need to pee is becoming more urgent, and I'm becoming less willing to chat. My pager was going off about every 15 minutes with my office looking for me (this was before the days where everyone carried a cell phone) and the emergency workers don't seem to think that this is urgent because they had taken a lunch break.

One more hour later.. we're free and I haul 'taters to the ladies where I have never been so relieved to pee in my entire life...

Who was my companion?

The next morning, I saw him get on the elevator again to go to the radio station, and I flipped on the station when I hit my office... It was Meatloaf, and he went on for about 10 minutes about getting trapped in an elevator with a young woman who he never got the name of... and who wasn't really overly chatty... I had my 10 minutes of fame and no one ever knew it was me...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73