View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 05:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Furry
Crazy

Speaking as an Briton, some tips.

Beer: $6 per pint.
Hotels - expensive, especially in city centres. Expect an average price in the suburbs of around $70-80 per night, if you're lucky.
Contrary to popular belief, trains tend to run on time now. They are, however, expensive.
Never ever ever take a London Taxi. They kill budgets. Use the bus or the tube.
That said, do mind the gap - they're not joking. I nearly fell down one once.

Outside of London, head west for relaxation and landscapes (Somerset, Avon, Cornwall (Bath is a great place to stop over if you're heading that way - architecture, culture and good eating) Northwest for the countryside (Peak District, lots of scenery and walking) and into Wales for a far more laid back approach to things.
Scotland really deserves its own guide, as do Wales and Cornwall. University towns are a good bet - Canterbury to the Southeast and Oxford/Cambridge (north of London) are always nice places to visit. York and Durham, much further to the North, are also worth a look.

Market towns still exist, especially in the countryside.

I'm not sure about work permits etc but you should have a minimum of fuss getting one - you've got marketable skills and you already speak the language.

Expect rain and non-stop drizzle on bad autumn days, and high cloud cover. Pack warm clothes.
Don't forget to register with your embassy if you're staying longer than three weeks or so.
Expect high prices for food, but if you look around a bit you should be able to find a decent lunch and a drink for around £5.
Fast food over here isn't, and comes cold. Go to the pub instead. The menus can be highly varied, but expect a generally high standard.
From what I've drunk in the US so far, UK beer tends to be much stronger in both alcohol content and flavour than over there. Stella Artois or Smith's would be the eqivalent of Miller. Always order whatever's on the tap, it's just better. Look out for locally brewed products and expect an alcohol content of 5 - 9 %

Take traveller's cheques in £sterling for emergency purposes (and everyday use) but be warned - apart from large hotel chains, shops don't tend to accept them. It's better to stick to cash. Ask your bank before you go if they have an agreement with other banks over here - some operators in both countries charge for cash withdrawals, although Visa/Mastercard etc should attract no charges. I'm not sure about American Express. For a longer stay, (+ 2/3 months) I'd suggest opening an account.

When are you going?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73