View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thorny
Upright

You can't do anything better than invest in your own earning potential. If you're mature enough and determined enough to succeed, definitely go to college. No matter whether you're looking at the inheritance as a gift or as an emergency fund, I think you have an emergency (no education) and the opportunity to give yourself a lasting gift (college).

...if you're mature and stable enough to handle school now. For whatever reason, you didn't finish high school. College isn't going to be easier. You're stressing about what to do with your couch if you move into a dorm. Put it on the curb with the other stuff you can replace once you're done with school. Concern yourself with succeeding in a tougher school environment than you left. The odds are not on your side, but if you're tough enough, and willing to work hard enough, it'll be worth it.

Even if you end up in the same job after you graduate, you'll have the degree to help with promotion/advancement or to be a more competitive applicant when a better position comes along. If I was hiring, I'd choose the guy who works with you and has a degree over someone who lacks an education. Your resume wouldn't even score an interview when there were others with degrees and similar experience. You might be able to do the job, but the system is set up so you'll be lucky to get the chance to show anyone that.

I borrowed and worked my way through school. Now I have student loans, but I also have the income to cover them, and much better job prospects.

If you're put off by the "needlesly complex application process" for student loans, step back and start making decisions rationally. How much time does it take to fill out the forms? Weigh that against the interest you'll save. I went to a bigass state school and trust me, "needlessly complex" is the industry standard. From initial application to getting off the alumni telemarketing list, complex is a gross understatement. If you can't handle that, mature a few more years before trying to go to school and you'll stand a better chance of success.

Oh, and of course, MAKE SURE THE SCHOOL YOU ATTEND IS PROPERLY ACCREDITED! Don't go to Late Night TV Tech for a masters in molecular biology that no employer will recognize.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73