View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 04:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Martian
Young Crumudgeon

ratbastid, Poppinjay - Us Canucks do things differently. A college course is generally going to be a two year program for a specific field of study, kind of like an associate's degree. I don't think we have a GED, but we do have equivalency tests; you sit down, write a test on the basics and if you pass they grant you similar status to a high school graduate. And once I'm in, as mum put it 'no one's going to question high school once you've got some college courses under your belt.'

That's why I'm thinking I'll just forego that part, as it seems unnecessary.

Also, student loans work differently, because we get ours from the government (OSAP) and they have a needlessly complex application system. You can go private loans, but you lose the benefits of the government loans, mainly that OSAP doesn't start building interest until you're done school. If I take out a bank loan I'll be paying interest from the start and paying a lot more for the same amount of money. Loans are pretty much unavoidable but I want to minimize them as much as I can. The flip side is that $20 000 isn't going to make enough interest to offset the loans unless I go for some major high risk ventures and I'm just not willing to do that with money that I'm going to need.

Also Poppinjay, figure Canuckbucks are different. I don't know if it would cost me less to live in rez, but it raises other issues, like what to do with all of my crap while I'm there. I have an apartment full of accumulated detritus like my stereo, sofas, chair, bed etc and nowhere to put any of that. Storage would have to go into the calculations and since rez runs higher here I think I don't know if it would end up being worth it.

It's pretty much a given that I'll need a part time job to help pay for all of this and it would all depend on me finding a nice juicy employment contract on my way out. I guess it's just intimidating, because I'd be rearranging my whole life.

I'm going to make an appointment at the school this week to see someone and figure out what my options are. I'll keep y'all posted.
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73