View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
host
Banned

What Are Bush's True Motives in Putting Rove "In Charge of NOLA Reconstruction"?

I have changed the thread title and the introductory comments because of the reaction of those who subsequently posted on this thread.

I am motivated to post at TFP Politics primarily because of a passion that is fueled by outrage at what I observe happening to my country at the hands of a malicious and irresponsible group of elected federal politicians, their appointees, and their supporters.

My contempt for defenders of and apologists for the current political status quo, grows greater as I learn more about the harm I perceive these federal office holders have already done, and are planning to do to in the future.

I will endeavor to suppress the effects of my outrage in comments that I make about my opinions of those who voted for these politicians and who support their agenda. I will try to post here in a way that is more in keeping with the brief, unreferenced and undocumented style favored by the majority of participants on this forum.

Is Karl Rove as "pointman" for reconstruction, beneficial to NOLA's citizenry?

I believe that Rove's mission will be to emphasize appearance over substance in any NOLA reconstruction that he is in charge of, to favorable poll numbers for Bush, while he sees to it that the primary financial beneficiaries are corporations with ties to this administration, the same companies who have been financially favored in post invasion Iraq. Do you think that a reconstruction effort overseen by Rove will benefit the people who actually do the rebuilding work, or who attempt to re-inhabit a "reconstructed" NOLA ?

Quote:
http://magic-city-news.com/article_4625.shtml
Bush: Just Another Looter
By Charles Cutter ( www.cuttersway.com )
Sep 15, 2005, 21:58

George W. Bush may have taken a public relations hit from Hurricane Katrina, but one can rest assured that our

American president is up to the task of managing the storm�s aftermath.

The first item on the agenda? Assign an overseer with the proper credentials for managing the post-storm efforts -

those credentials beginning and ending with loyalty to Mr. Bush. To that end, "Republicans said Karl Rove, the

White House deputy chief of staff and Mr. Bush�s chief political adviser, was in charge of the reconstruction

effort�" (New York Times, 9/15/05).

Second, it will be necessary to create layers of protection between Mr. Bush and criticism of his crisis management

abilities. On Wednesday, the U.S. Senate rejected Hillary Clinton�s (D-NY) proposed independent, bipartisan

committee - using the 9/11 Commission as a template - to investigate the disastrously poor response from the

government in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. As reported by the Associated Press, "Clinton got only 44 votes,

all from Democrats and independent Sen. Jim Jeffords of Vermont. Fifty-four Republicans all voted

no."............
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/15/na...5cnd-bush.html
Bush to Say U.S. Cannot Do Without New Orleans

By ELISABETH BUMILLER
and RICHARD W. STEVENSON
Published: September 15, 2005

........Republicans said Karl Rove, the White House deputy chief of staff and Mr. Bush's chief political adviser,

was in charge of the reconstruction effort, which reaches across many agencies of government and includes the

direct involvement of Alphonso R. Jackson, secretary of housing and urban development........

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091601488.html
Bush Says Spending Cuts Will Be Needed
Tax Increase Not Part Of His Gulf Relief Plan

By Michael A. Fletcher and Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, September 17, 2005; Page A01

..........Bush has refused to put a price tag on the reconstruction plan, which he outlined in a prime-time speech Thursday night, although members of Congress and others have predicted that it could cost as much as $200 billion. The plan was assembled by Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove and Claude Allen, Bush's top domestic policy adviser............

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...601488_pf.html
washingtonpost.com
Bush Says Spending Cuts Will Be Needed
Tax Increase Not Part Of His Gulf Relief Plan

By Michael A. Fletcher and Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, September 17, 2005; A01

......White House aides confirmed that Rove, in his capacity as deputy chief of staff, is helping to lead the Katrina recovery effort. With Rove's name a rallying point for Bush foes, especially after revelations of his role in the unmasking of a CIA operative, Democrats sought to denigrate his involvement........

Last edited by host; 09-19-2005 at 09:29 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73