View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
texxasco
Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
texxasco, speaking from experience. I insure my car for approximately $2700 per year. A similar policy on a conservative cruiser would cost me about double that and I have a perfect record on both bike and in car.

Insurance fluctuates wildly per market, so I was sort of jumping to a conclusion there, but all the same it's a point to keep in mind. A bike isn't necessarily the cheaper option.

And I'd say all that Japanese vs. Harley stuff is so much personal preference, just like domestic vs. foreign cars. I have never seen a Japanese cruiser that I like better than a good HD Dynaglide. I'm not going to begrudge the guy I pass on the street his Shadow, but it's definitely not my style.
Martian, I too am speaking from experience. In fact, before I posted anything, I had my best friend on the line, who owns an insurance agency. He and I discussed it at length and I also did some of my own samples across the country. I have also insured motorcycles in Texas, California, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Michigan. Motorcycle rates have come up over the years, btu then so has the dollar value, performance, and risk involved in insuring a bike.

If you'll look back in my post, I started off with: "......I don't know about Canada, but in the US.". Are you living in Canada? According to his profile, Racer lives in Florida, and as I stated in my post, his rates should be minimal. But, even that is a guess, because unless I know his personal info and exact location I couldn't possibly say for sure what his rates would be. That's why I said what I did. I also realize that there are pockets in the US where rates for bikes are high too, but in most areas a motorcycle is less expensive to insure that a car. I also included links to website where you can get an online rate quite as well.

As far as Japanese versus Harley Davidson, you are right ...it is personal preference. I also stated my preference...and I meant it as nothing more than a preference. (".. I prefer Japanese bikes myself"). I spoke well about Harley's, but it is a fact that Japanese bikes outperform Harley's. Almost any Harley rider will tell you that. When you buy a Harley, you aren't buying the fastest, best maneuvering, best braking bike brand available.... What you are buying is a good machine, and along with it you are buying the mystique and nostalgia that goes along with the HD name. It is also a fact that Japanese bikes enjoy a higher reliability rating that Harley's do... HD is improving though, and so are Japanese bikes.

I would never, and nore did I mean to give the impression that I would begrudge another rider for riding something different than I would ride. I have ridden with Harley riders, and Japanese riders alike, and it's all fun. I will say that I have pissed off a few Harley riders by stopping to offer help, which in turn pissed me off that I stopped to help and then snubbed me.... I have also passed many a Harley rider since, and these days wouldn't stop unless they waved me down. I am glad it isn't your style to look down your nose at another rider if he isn't on a Harley, but there are a lot of HD riders out there that do.

Anyway... I stand by my post in regards to what wrote on insurance.... It is ungodly what you folks have to pay for insurance where you are...! Why are your rates so HIGH??? Is the accident rate high? or what?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73