View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
alansmithee
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigglet
edit : hell, at first I forgot about Ren. There you go.
So have Dre and Ice Cube .

Quote:
Apples and oranges.

We're not talking about discomfort with a particular sex act. I don't find the idea of two men have intercourse particularly appealing. I don't find a man and a woman having sex very appealing either. In fact, I tend to find that any sex act involving a man is something I don't wish to witness or be a part of. So I don't watch or involve myself with sex acts that involve men.

What I don't do is go around bashing men by labeling things I dislike as "male". Doing so would be uncalled for and would get me labeled as a man-hater, and rightly so. Men aren't responsible for all that is bad. Neither are homosexuals. Or people with low IQ's. Using words that describe such people to mean "bad" is implicitly bashing the group of people commonly described by those words. Saying so doesn't make a person self-righteousness.

Gilda
Honestly, if you were to describe things you disliked as male, I wouldn't be offended in the least. It has nothing to do with being responsible for all the world's ills. It happens to do with your feelings about them, which are perfectly legitimate.

And the self-righteousness shows in comments like these:

Quote:
Well there is one small thing to be said for people who use gay in a negative way, it's like a big neon sign that says "I'm ignorant and insecure"

Many of my friends and acquaintances say things like: "Man, that's gay" or "Damn, my computer is gay." My response has been, "I didn't know that inanimate objects have sexual preferences." That just kinda stops them in their tracks, and they feel like idiots.

Anyway, it's always been interesting to see how this particular brand of bigotry has permeated and seeped its way into the minds of my peers. Not just referring to women as "Ho's," but also in particular, the repetetive use of "Gay" as a derogatory term. It angers my family, both immediate and not, that my 17 year-old cousin is constantly calling things she dislikes "Gay," and no matter how hard we try, we can't get across to her just why we dislike her doing it. (But then, she's also the only pro-lifer in a family entirely made up of pro-choicers. Go figure.)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73