View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 09:43 PM   #72 (permalink)
Gilda
32 flavors and then some

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaeru
I second what MrSelfDetruct said. You cannot look at a situation and leave whether or not you're victimized up to the person who may or may not decide to victimize you. People are not nice--why leave that decision in their hands?
I do my best not to. I avoid dangerous situations. I just went out to get myself a Mr. Pibb. There's a 7-11 about a block away, half that if I walk through the alley behind my home. Did I walk there? Hell no. I got in my car and drove to MacDonalds and went through the drive through.

When I go grocery shopping late at night, or in the very early morning (the best time by far) I park in a well lit area, and always have someone help me out with my groceries and load them in my car.

I minimize the threat when I can. I don't put myself in high risk situations.

Looking at a display case in a crowded mall isn't a high risk situation. That guy wasn't going to get violent with me unless I escalated it by getting violent with him first, and who knows what would have happened then?

Quote:
If you know going into any situation that no one is going to fuck with you beyond a certain point or it's on, then people won't push that line. If you have no line, they will see that and take as much as you will give them.
Nonsense. Did you know that most police officers who are killed in the line of duty are killed with their own gun? Most victims of rape fight back, hard. Once someone has chosen to disregard the basic rules of society, it's easy to cross the line, even to the point of disregarding their own safety.

Now this is hardly attempted murder or rape, but by touching me inappropriately, he'd already crossed the line. If I'd escalated the incident to violence, I'd just have been inviting him to up the ante to hitting me, and getting hit is very, very high on my list of things to avoid.

Quote:
It may not be in your personality to be aggressive, but don't you feel indignant when someone tries to compromise your personal space like that?
Of course. I'd think that this thread would be ample evidence of that.

Quote:
Fuck the consequences--you need to protect your integrity and peace of mind and if someone is seriously jeopardizing that...they had it coming.
I never say F--- the consequences, especially when it compes to getting hurt. The potential price is much too high. Getting hurt further by getting violent and thus provoking him to do the same would not have made things better for me.

I can see no positive outcome from having gotten violent with this guy. Logically, the best possible result would have been that he'd have backed off and I'd have drawn attention to us. Walking away accomplished the same thing without the risk of physical harm to myself, and without the attendant embarassment.

And I can prevent this from happening again by simply not going back there. I don't see any way in which violence would have improved things.

Gilda

~Steven Colbert

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73