View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #173 (permalink)
Gilda
32 flavors and then some

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaeru
The only solid argument you can really make Gilda, if you want to 'think critically' about this situation in an objective way which can apply to anybody using demeaning words which offend somebody else (without getting into their personal upbringings and beliefs), is that the person using the words should realize that it offends people on this board and should refrain from using it. If you know it's going to rub somebody the wrong way, why say it and be an asshole? That's a flawed argument though, based on the circumstances.
If I had actually made such an argument, you might have a point. I didn't, however, so you are arguing against a straw man.

Quote:
If someone is offended by something you say, then you shouldn't say it. That's how it works in the real world, typically. But what if you mean what you say? What if it's what you really think?
Thoughts can be expressed thoughtfully and politely, or crudely and offensively. The former is usually more effective, especially in a context where the latter is likely to cause offense.

Quote:
As much as I think there is an awesome close knit community of friendly people here @ TFP, we don't all need to agree with each other all the time. If we did, we'd get bored fast. The whole point of this place is to say what you REALLY mean and to just put it out there---this whole social project is to see what happens when people just totally drop that wall of 'what is appropriate' and just say WHATEVER the hell they think.
You can say what you really think while being polite. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote:
So if you want to say, using the term fugly or butterface is offensive and you're an asshole and I'm offended so don't say it on here out of respect for me, then I say, welcome to the classroom.
Once again you bring out your straw man. Makes an easy target, doesn't it?

If I'd meant that, I would have said that. I didn't. Reread what I said, and you'll see that my point is quite different from how you are characterizing it.

Quote:
I do respect you, that's why I'm not going to walk around your eggshells and bullshit you. You may not like the lesson but you're going to learn something about the person posting, and possibly about yourself too.
I'm not sure what lesson I'm supposed to learn from name calling that can't be just as well communicated using polite language.

I don't believe I've asked anyone to walk on eggshells around me.

~Steven Colbert

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73