View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 03:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
I used to not understand how people with Asthma "couldn't breathe". I mean just breath dammit. Mmy chronic bronchitis got upgraded to asthma and I learned that it was much more different than I had ever thought.

My worst asthma attack came froma trip with Quadro2000 and JustJess. We joke now about it, but at the time it was quite scary for everyone involved. We were deep in the Adirondacks and I would have an asthma attack every night while sleeping. I did not know that this is a bad sign.

On the second morning at breakfast, I could not breathe so I excused myself from the table and went outside for some fresh air. It was suggested that we head to town and go to the urgent care facility but I demured.

It be very apparent to me that I needed more than just my inhaler, and Q's father drove me to an urgent care facility about 20 minutes away. They called ahead to let them know that I would be coming in. Q's father was very calm. I was in the passenger seat concentrating on breathing. I could feel my airway tightening. He kept talking to me to keep me occupied and from just succumbing and closing my eyes. He cracked jokes to keep my interested and cursed at the local yokel traffic that was not yeilding to him.

We got to the facility and they gave me all that they could eppi pen, adrenalin shot. I was not responding. They had me on an oxygen mask. But as I started to slip into unconsciousness, I could see Skogafoss' feet in the next room, but I could see Q's father standing in the doorway. All I could think about was my wife of about 6 months and the last vision I have of her is her feet. I was drowning where there was no water.

I realized that at that very moment, I might have had only a few more minutes on this planet. I could not talk to anyone. I could not motion to anyone as I was being restrained because my body was in the throes of flailing about as every cell in my body was demanding more oxygen. I felt it.... the lonlieness. I realized at that moment, when we die, we are totally alone. I had people around me working on my. Shouting orders as I started to drift in and out. My arms and legs pushing against the people restraining me as my body demanding more oxygen than what the small airway was able to accomodate. My wife, she was just a few feet away. I could not tell her I loved her. I could not say anything. My body was demanding oxygen, my extremities flailed about as best as they could under the pressure of the people holding my body down. My body wanted to live. Every cell was working in concert demanding that it get more oxygen.

My mind was still quite lucid, I recall thinking that if this is the last moment, I am ready. I am complete. I bid farewell to Skogafoss in my mind. I remember thinking about her and the last trips we had together. The night before was the first Drive In movie that Skogafoss had ever been to and it was the movie Signs. I could not smile at her, I could not tell her that I was very peaceful. I did not feel any pain; I was not scared.

Suddenly a crash cart burst into the room. Paramedics transferred me to their gurney I think I was given another couple of shots and they wheeled me into the parking lot and into the back of the ambulance. I was hooked up to another oxygen mask and a nebulizer. My airway was slowly opening. I was looking up at this paramedic. I had no idea where Skogafoss was, but people were shouting at me that I had to hang on as the ride to the nearest hospital was about 40 minutes in Glen Falls. As oxygen was getting to all my cells again my body slowly relaxed. My heart rate was still moving quickly because of all the things that they shot me up with at the urgent care facility.

The hospital in Glen Falls kept me overnight because of all the things that I was shot up with. Skogafoss was by my side the whole time. She told me she sat in the passenger seat of the ambulance as Quadro and JustJess trailed behind, she was nearby when I thought she was nowhere to be seen.

We now joke about this situation and make light of it. Q's father calls me Darth Vader and insists that I bring my own oxygen tank anytime we're together. I actually carry a small portable battery operated nebulizer and squibs of albuterol now where ever we travel since we like to travel to remote areas.

thank you for listening to my story. this is the first time I've ever really documented this experience since it was prior to me journaling.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73