View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Jinn
Lover - Protector - Teacher

Just thought I'd provide an update in case anyone was curious about how the rest of the days went. On Saturday, I was much more prepared.. with shoes instead of sandals, and a better attitude towards how people would react to me. In return, I noticed more smiling people, and I had a much better day. By Sunday, I'd gotten used to the hard physical labor and actually started to enjoy the company of the other community service workers. By the end of the day, I was simply glad to have finished it all.

Saturday did provide another good lesson, so I chose to share this lesson as well.

My lesson in happiness
Much like my lesson in respect, this lesson came to me while watching other people go about their daily activities. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from learning about people, and I think it often assists us in defining ourselves.

My observation this day specifically revolved around another worker: Steven. When I first arrived on Saturday, Steven was sitting on the wicker chair outside the maintenance building. He had a scowl on his face, and he avoided making direct eye contact with me. I'd no idea why he was so forlorn, so I took note but moved on and clocked in for the day. I already knew the day would be warm, as the temperature rose to almost 80 degrees by 9 am. As I talked to my supervisor about what she'd need me to do for the day, Steven still sat by, with the same plastered-on grimace. Had he been stricken with a horrible sentence in the Colorado courts? Was he simply angry at being here that day? This was a mystery I would never fully solve, although his actions later would solidify my lesson. My supervisor told me that I would be doing "litter pickup" and that Steven would be doing sweeping. He muttered something oddly arcane, stood up, and grabbed a broom. Before I had even moved to get the trash bags and latex gloves I would need, Steven was sauntering off to perform his duties. As he walked down the asphalt path and turned the corner beyond the dumpster, I could still see the anger resonating from his face. There was no doubt in my mind that something had made Steven very angry, but I wondered what? As I went to grab my gloves, I jokingly chirped, "Happy guy, eh?" to my supervisor. Her face morphed into a sad smirk, and she replied.. "Yea, that guy never really smiles. Not happy to be here, I guess--"

For me, this presented an interesting new place to direct my observations. I wanted to know what made Steven so angry that he couldn't bring himself to put a smile on his face....

... no, nevermind. This story sucks. Well, at least I'm done with my community service.

Adios.
"I'm typing on a computer of science, which is being sent by science wires to a little science server where you can access it. I'm not typing on a computer of philosophy or religion or whatever other thing you think can be used to understand the universe because they're a poor substitute in the role of understanding the universe which exists independent from ourselves." - Willravel

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73