View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Grasshopper Green
...is a comical chap

This really got my goat. I don't know if it was meant this way, but it's certainly how it came across to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eribrav
1. I've worked as a cashier. Life could be a lot worse than spending your day in an air conditioned building. Trust me.
I don't know what company you worked for, but the two stores I've worked at weren't bastions of air-conditioned bliss. The checkstands are right by the doors, so every time they open the heat or the cold blasts in. In fact, last summer we had a cashier pass out from heat exhaustion. It's a rarity to see a cashier without a coat on during the winter; when I cashiered I had many a customer tell me my hands felt like ice as I handed them their change. Granted, it's not the same as construction or the road crew guys, but it's not always comfortable either.

Quote:
2. It's called WORK for a reason. That's why they pay you. Why does it surprise anyone that actually performing work might leave you sore, tired, and otherwise temporarily inconvenienced?
Firstly, I don't think anyone posting in this thread thinks that work is a place to play around or have fun. Secondly, there are discomforts related to any job; I don't know who your post was directed to, but I was certainly listing the physical hazards of being a cashier. Work in an office? You get carpal tunnel, eye and neck strain, and hemmroids. Doctor? You work around sick people all the time, etc. There are pros and cons to any job.

Quote:
3. Don't like the pay? Find something else to do. Go find another job, that probably involves more responsibility, more physical and mental discomfort. Or go further your education.
This is precisely why I switched to stocking. I didn't like cashiering. As far as furthering my education, I can't speak for others, but that's impossible for me right now. How do I know? Because I've tried. Between my job, my husband's job, taking care of my son, and my husband going to school, it is not a possibility for me right now. While I'm not happy about it, I accept that and know it will be a few years before I can start school, and work towards a better job. I also don't know where you live, but finding a new job can be difficult. It took me a month to get the job I have after I moved cross country. Perhaps you should rethink this before making blanket statements about this line of work.

Formerly Medusa

Last edited by Grasshopper Green; 07-17-2005 at 02:39 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73