View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Suzz04
Crazy

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but I would like to highlight the three jobs I had. They were horrid jobs by defination of being respected in that sense. I apologize as well for being so long, but I feel I must give as much info as I can without seeming that I'm being a troll.

My first job was in a local department store similiar to a clothing store but with other things. That one was fine.

My second, third, and last job was the kick in the pants and a lesson in life. My second one was at a data collections type place. You know, those people that call you in the middle of supper to do surveys. I have a higher respect for those people now. I was cursed every day for 4 to 6 hours a day. Mind you, in that type of job you have quota's to meet. Fortunately, there were enough kind people that would sit and answer questions and tell the good or bad of their experiences based on the survey. Then there were those that would just curse you just because you called. They wouldn't hang up and you weren't allowed to hang up on them. So, they would continue to curse you while you had to sit there and take it. Company policy. No rudeness to the other side regardless of what you were being hit with. After 8 months, I fled crying and a nervous wreck.

My third job was at a airline reservations call center. Now, the irony of it was, we don't have a airport in this area, and the flights were no where near us. But, if we, the employees, wanted to use our benefits to fly, we had to travel several hours to the airport to use them. This airline is now shut down due to bankrupcty (it was a small airline trying to build up but failed). But, every time a flight was delayed, canceled or whatever, we were flooded with calls all day thru the night about the dissatisfaction. I know we represent the company but damned, we can't do anything about the engine problems, or delays. We could only make your reservations, canceled them, or reshedule. We weren't able to do much in the form of customer service. We were cursed every day as well. There were the good days as well as the bad.

The last job I had, which was the last time I worked and probably will never again unless I absolutely have to was the kicker for me.

I was the janitor in the local post office. Oh my god. I can relate to the looks of disgust, people moving far away from you, and dropping their junk mail in the floor. The people here would spit their tobacco juices in the trash cans after the bags had fallen down and it'd be all of the cans. Some of the others would come in with heavy mud on their shoes, dried and wet kinds, and seem to stomp their feet as they went. The post master was a bitch from hell and no matter what I did it wasn't good enough. I told her once that our Mean Green cleaner was low and needed more. She said I had another two weeks of use in it and wouldn't order it. So I used it sparingly, and told her again as it got lower. When I finally ran out, I was yelled at for not telling her sooner.

People tend to teach their children these things without knowing it. They teach them that it's the "business suit" jobs that are only the ones worth showing respect to. Janitors and the like are the "shit jobs" and those people are too sorry to do anything else in life.

Why? Because they unconsiously don't want to see themselves nor their children in a shit job. Whether or not they like it, they are branded these kids for life by acting this way.

Coal miners are around here. This was and is returning to being a coal booming area again. Those guys, and the few ladies would do that job, are looked at horridly as well. All because they're "dirty". Those guys make quite a bit of money. In this area, anything above 10 bucks a hour is a good job regardless of what you do. But, the jobs aren't that avaible as in a city.

A job is a job no matter what it is. Income is the way for people to support themselves in what they need. A home, power, food, and such. Alot of things are luxuries but necessary in a way. As long as you're doing what you can for your family, then you are doing the best in the world.

To all those that have jobs that are looked upon with disrespect or whatever, I salute to you for standing by what you do. Thank you to each of you who do what you are doing, whether you are a janitor, mechanic, cook, or whatever. You are providing each person your services and should be proud of it. You might be doing that job til you can find a better one. You are progressing your ladder. Not someone else's.

Everyday that I deal with anyone in the public, I smile at them as well as talk to them as if they were my best friend. I have had many times those people look at me in shock, only to find out that they've had a bad day and I'm the only nice one that they've dealt with.

This world is too uptight. Strangers need companionship and social interaction. That person you smile at today or help, just might have given them the incentive to push thru the day. Remember, if you don't smile at them, they're never going to smile back. Warmth and caring goes alot futher than cold and hatred.

Suzz04

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73