View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
maleficent
Junkie

Moderator Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
So, what I don't get about the bra measuering thing is that according to my measurements (near as I can tell) I'm like a... 40DD, except I'm really a 36/38D.... please vic, enlighten us about how to properly measure!
I spent entirely too many years working for The Limited and training people for Victoria's Secret - Measuring for a bra is pretty easy -- and there's a huge majority of owmen out there who are wearing the wrong size bra. If the cup gaps on you, or there's some spill over, or the back of the bra rides up, you are wearing the wrong size bra...

To properly measure:
(and it's best to have someone else measure you to get the tape measure even)

1. Measure around the chest directly under the breast at a constant height with the cloth measuring tape. Add 5 inches to that measurement.
This is your bra/band size
If the bra size works out to an ODD number go up one inch to the next EVEN number.
This should equal the circumference around the chest, directly above the breasts/under the arms.
2. Now measure around the chest at the height of the fullest part of the breast. The measuring tape should be held horizontal, flat on your back, and your arms should be down.
Make a note of that measurement (only used for comparison) and compare it to the Bra Size from step 1.

Determining your Cup size
3. To determine the proper Cup Size, find the difference between step 2 and step 1 (step 2 - step 1.) Use the chart below to determine your Cup Size.
Half inch AA cup
One inch A cup
Two inches B Cup
Three inches C Cup
Four inches D Cup
Five inches DD Cup

Now that method doesn't work for everyone... the alternate method is:

1. Measure around the chest directly under the breast.
2. Measure around the chest, directly above the breasts/under the arms.
3. If the difference between the two measurements is two inches or less, use the Step 1 measurement. If the difference is over two inches, you may want to try one bra/band size larger for comfort. This will be your bra/band size.
4. If the under-breast measurement is an odd number, add one to reach the next even numbered bra band size.
5. Now measure around the chest at the height of the fullest part of the breast. The measuring tape should be held horizontal, and your arms should be down. Make a note of that measurement (only used for comparison.)

Cup Size:
To determine the proper Cup Size, find the difference between step 5 and your bra band size. Use the numbers above to determine your Cup Size.

I'm not sure what the difference that adding the + 5 does - the second method seems to be more accurate..

~~~~~~~~~~
Note there are no real standards for bra sizing, so that fits in one bra manufacturer and style, may cause you to have spill over or gapping in another style. Always try on the bra before buying..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73