View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
snowy
Kick Ass Kunoichi

Your diet seems to be sorely lacking in whole grains.

My recommendations? Curried couscous with lentils is excellent, as is brown rice with black beans. Vegetarian chili is also good--mix together kidney beans, corn, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, garbanzo beans, and another bean of your choice with chili seasonings and voila. I also like to use pitas instead of wheat bread--though never underestimate the power of whole-wheat toast with natural peanut butter--to make sandwiches. I stuff the pita with some sliced turkey, sliced cucumbers, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, tzatziki sauce, and hummus. Mmm. Soo good. Just hummus and pita is also an excellent snack, or hummus and vegetables. Crispbread is also a good whole-grain bread substitute.

Also, chicken is very easy if it's seasoned right. One thing I like to do is cover a skinless chicken breast in Yoshida sauce or some other teriyaki sauce and microwave it until cooked thoroughly. Make sure the container is covered with wax paper or plastic wrap though, otherwise you'll overcook the chicken. Typically I buy chicken pieces that still have skin, ovenroast them, and then take the skin off so that the meat is still moist but there is less fat.

Egg dishes are good--yes, they may be a bit on the fattening side, but the nutritional density of the egg is tremendous. A frittata with some fresh veggies--mushrooms, tomatoes--and a handful of baby shrimp tastes really fancy and rich but is easy to make and will keep you full for a loooong time. Eggs have staying power.

I also really like oatmeal--get some PLAIN oatmeal (flavored oatmeals are packed with added sugars) and add the things you like to it (I usually add a teaspoon of maple syrup or some dark brown sugar) as well as a tsp. of ground flaxseed (you can get this at any health food store in the bulk section). That will increase the amount of whole grains you are getting while also adding omega-3 fatty acids to your diet.

Don't be afraid of dairy, especially cheese. Good cheese helps you get fuller faster so you actually end up eating less. Try this: have a couple cubes of cheese before your next meal. You'll notice that you do fill up faster and stay full longer. The key with cheese is to only eat a little at a time--don't go hogwild. And make it WORTH it--a little goat cheese on crispbread is excellent You DO need fat in your diet, just in moderation. So make the moderation worthwhile.

Another note: If your aim is to eat healthy, get rid of the sausage. Sausage is packed with extra fat (unless of course you have the means to make it yourself or buy turkey sausage instead). Frozen pizza is full of sodium. Instead buy pizza dough at the grocery store (most grocery stores have it hanging around somewhere) and make your own with skim mozzarella and veggie toppings. You can also make your own pizza dough fairly easily provided you're not afraid of yeast. Also, it's OKAY to use oil in your cooking--just be careful as to which KINDS you are using. I personally use extra-virgin olive oil and canola interchangeably depending on what I'm cooking. Switching to non-stick pans means you'll use less oil. Also buy some good non-stick spray--I recommend Mazola's corn oil spray as it leaves no taste behind and works well. I use it frequently when making omelettes.

Oh, and get rid of the granola unless it's low-fat. Typically granola bars have lots of sugar (be it from refined sugar or honey or whatever) and fat. Instead try Kashi (replacing loose granola) and Clif bars (replacing granola bars).

Keys here:
1) Fresh fruits and vegetables (5 or more servings per day, be aware a glass of OJ is a serving, and you're better off having an orange than a glass of OJ--more fiber and less sugar)
2) Whole grains are a must (be it whole-wheat toast, whole-wheat pita, wheat pasta, couscous, black beans, kidney beans, any kind of legume, crispbread, etc)
3) Processed foods are BAD for you (yes, they're EASY but if your goal is to eat healthier, that's NOT the way to do it)
4) Dairy and eggs are good sources of protein but must be eaten in moderation
5) ALWAYS start your day off with a good breakfast
6) Be aware of hidden sources of fat--ramen noodles, fried rice, sausage.

I hope that was helpful.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73