View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
ShaniFaye
Submit to me, you know you want to

Identity theft victim strikes back

I heard this story on one of the talk radio programs I listen to and thought it was very interesting....and I have to admit if it had been me I probably would have had the same thought as this guy....although I dont know that I would have acted on it....what do you think about this kind of "vigilantism"? I dont really think he was entitled to the money they guy had in the bank because was only a social security number he "stole", Would you have called the cops and turned him in? Or would you have tried for easy money?

Quote:
Brandon Canales of Schaumburg is accused of stealing money from the bank account of a Carpentersville man who investigators say had been using Canales' identity for years. The real Brandon Canales just graduated from high school. Now, he is out on bond charged with financial identity theft. The person who stole his identity remains in jail charged with the same offense. Augustin Oretega-Luna was caught after he reported to police that money was taken from his bank account.

Brandon Canales had his identity stolen when he was only 11 years old. Now 19, the Schaumberg resident was determined to find out who was using his name and social security number. Canales tracked the person down in Carpentersville. Instead of going to police, Canales planned to get even.

"He figured he had a bank account in town here or the town he lived in, and so basically through making phone calls, found out that he did -- there was an account in town, and he was able to get into it," said Det. Todd Shaver, Carpentersville police.

Police say Canales transferred $8,000 out an Amcore Bank account bearing his name and transferred it into his own bank account. Police got wind of the revenge when a man claiming to be Brandon Canales walked into the Carpentersville's police station to report money missing from his bank account. The man's real name is Augustine Oretega-Luna

"He told us he had bought the information years ago, and he needed a name and social security number basically to work," said Shaver.

Police say the 33-year-old Mexican immigrant bought the identity for $400 from a man in Palatine back in 1997. Ortega-Luna's wife and brother say Ortega-Luna did not know at the time what he was doing was illegal. His family says he just wanted a social-security number to work and pursue the American dream.

"He was working in landscaping and a lot of jobs in the field," said Juan Ortega, suspect's brother.

Ortega Luna was able to save enough money to buy this Carpentersville house, two cars and satellite TV, but now he sits in jail.

"I am worried for the kids. What happened to the kids? And I worry for my brother," said Juan Ortega.

And the real Brandan Caneles is in big legal trouble as well, getting even landed him with a felony charge of financial identity theft.

"You can't take the law into your own hands," said Shaver.

Brandon Canales is a foster child. ABC7 News spoke with his foster mother over the phone. Roberta Crobak is upset that Brandon decided to take the law in his own hands. She also believes Ortega-Luna is a victim as well. Crobak believes police should investigate the person who sold Brandon's identity to Ortega-Luna.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/061605_ns_id_theft.html

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73