View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
host
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Amen, Brother Lebell!
What is it that you are "Amen-ing", MoonDog, unsubstantiated assertions, such as the one linked here?
http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showpos...5&postcount=13

or..... information that has the potential to influence some of us to form an opinion, time after time, that there is much we don't know, and probably will never know to the extent that we can reach a conclusion in regards to the integrity and veracity of our elected officials.

To counter Lebell's effort to shoot the messenger instead of posting arguments that challenge specific points I (and others) posted related to the people headlined here, the extent of my "black or white" opinions is to identify conclusions about a controversial individual's character, reputation, and accomplisment, that can only be reached by excluding information that, if considered using similar criteria to that applied to included information used in reaching a conclusion, would cloud the thinking process and preempt the arrival of a conclusion.

My opinion is that the "Hanoi Jane is a traitor" opinion, linked above, is arguable because it fails to consider the events and political climate of the
times when "Jane's" treason allegedly took place. I posted my documented argument in a <a href="http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showpost.php?p=1736252&postcount=20">link</a> in my last post here.

What would I have had to ignore or give less consideration to in order to align my thinking with those who accorded Ronald Reagan the accolades and the pageantry directed in his honor during the days after his death last june ?

I cannot conclude that Reagan was a traitor because he secretly authorized the trading of arms to a declared U.S. enemy, but when given accurate weight in the process of assessing Reagan's place, in comparison to other presidents, the findings of the special prosector serve to seriously diminish his reputation. I would have to ignore Reagan's own admission and Lawrence Walsh's findings in order to make a "white" conclusion about Reagan.
http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showpos...9&postcount=31
Quote:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/reagan/...e/index_5.html

Timeline of Ronald Reagan's Life

April 16: Reagan signs directive for aggressive posture to terrorism. The new policy is set forth in a document officially designated National Security Decision Directive 138.

October 10: Congress passes the 2nd Boland Amendment which outlaws solicitation of 3rd-party countries to support Contras. The amendment bars the use of funds available to C.I.A., defense, or intelligence agencies for "supporting, directly or indirectly, military or paramilitary operations in Nicaragua by any nation, group, organization or individual."

June 6: The Senate authorizes nonmilitary aid to Contras. A 55-42 vote authorizes $38 million over two years.

June 18: At a press conference dominated by the hostage crisis, Reagan vows that the U.S. will never give in to terrorists' demands.

July 18: From his hospital bed, Reagan approves National Security Advisor William McFarlane's plan to reach out to Iranian Foreign Minister Ghorbanifar. MacFarlane is interested in an opening with Iran through influence with moderates by helping Iran in war against Iraq. Reagan is more interested in using any influence gained through better relations to free hostages being held in Beirut by extremist Iranian terrorists.

July 25: Israeli representatives meet with Iranian Foreign Minister Ghorbanifar for first time on arms deal. Israel will sell arms to Iran, U.S. will replace Israeli stocks.

August 20: 96 anti-tank missiles are sent to Iran by Israel. No hostages are released in return.

August 30: Israel ships 508 anti-tank missiles to Iran.

November 17: Colonel Oliver North is put in charge of the shipment of HAWK anti-aircraft missiles to Iran.

December 2: McFarlane quits his post as National Security Advisor. His deputy, John Poindexter, steps up to the position.

December 7: Shultz, Weinberger, and Donald Regan advise Reagan to stop Iran arms sales.

February 16: The U.S. ships 1000 anti-tank missiles to Iran.

February 25: Reagan asks Congress for $100 million in aid for Contras. The House rejects appeal; the Senate approves his request. Bill returns to the House.

May 29: Colonel Oliver North tells McFarlane that profits of weapons sales to Iran are being diverted to the Contras.

June 25: The House finally passes the Contra aid package by 12 votes. Reagan calls it "a step forward in bipartisan consensus in American foreign policy."

July 26: Father Jenco, one of the hostages held by Muslim extremists, is released in Damascus.

August 27: Reagan signs an anti-terrorism law that bans arms sales to nations that support terrorism, and strengthens U.S. anti-terrorist measures.

September: Former National Security Advisor WilliamMcFarlane takes 23 tons of weapons to Iran.

October 21: American writer Edward Tracy is taken hostage.

October 30: 500 anti-tank missiles shipped to Iran.

November 2: American hostage David Jacobsen is released in Beirut.

November 3: Lebanese magazine "Al Shiraa" reports that the U.S. has sold arms to Iran. The Iranian government confirms the story. This marks the beginning of Iran-Contra.

November 13: In a nationally televised speech to defend against charges concerning arms sales to Iran, Reagan admits sending some defensive weapons and spare parts to Iran, but denies it was part of an arms for hostages deal. "Our government has a firm policy not to capitulate to terrorist demands.... We did not -- repeat, did not -- trade weapons or anything else for hostages, nor will we." Polls show that the American people do not believe Reagan.

November 21: Attorney General Meese is asked to conduct an inquiry of the Iran affair to get facts straight.

November 22: Meese's office discovers the Iran-Contra connection. When searching North’s office, they found a memo dated 4/4/86 from North to Poindexter, which included an amount that to be sent to the Contras from the profits of the Iran sales. North, who had spent the night shredding papers, later called the diversion of funds, "a neat idea."

November 24: Meese tells Reagan that some proceeds from the sale of arms to Iran went to the Contras. Reagan is visibly shaken and according to Meese, surprised. He is aware that the diversion of funds could mean impeachment for violation of the Boland Amendment.

November 25: National Security Advisor John Poindexter resigns and Oliver North is fired. In press conference, Meese announces Iran-Contra: $10m to $30m of profits from sale of U.S. arms to Iran had been diverted to Swiss bank accounts for use by Contra rebels in Nicaragua.

December 1: Reagan appoints the Tower Commission to review Iran Contra.

December 19: Independent counsel Lawrence Walsh is appointed to investigate Iran-Contra.
February 2: Reagan testifies to the Tower Board for a second time. His testimony is inconsistent and confused. The Board pointed out Reagan hadn’t known about August shipment of anti-tank missiles, but Reagan had said he DID know. When asked for an explanation, Reagan picked up a briefing memo he had been provided and read aloud: "If the question comes up at the Tower Board meeting, you might want to say that you were surprised."

February 20: A Reagan memo to the Tower Board reads: "I don’t remember, period." "I’m trying to recall events that happened eighteen months ago, I’m afraid that I let myself be influenced by others’ recollections, not my own.... The only honest answer is to state that try as I might, I cannot recall anything whatsoever about whether I approved an Israeli sale in advance or whether I approved replenishment of Israeli stocks around August of 1985. My answer therefore and the simple truth is, ‘I don’t remember, period.’"

February 26: The Tower Commission report is delivered to Reagan. The report could not link Reagan to diversion of funds from Iran to the Contras. But it concluded that Reagan, confused and unaware, allowed himself to be misled by dishonest staff members who organized the trade of arms to Iran for hostages held in Lebanon and pursued a secret war against the Nicaraguan government. The report charges that Reagan had failed to "insist upon accountability & performance review, " allowing the National Security Council process to collapse. Reagan’s approval rating is down to 42%.

March 4: On national television, Reagan acknowledges mistakes on Iran-Contra. "A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. <b>My heart and my best intentions tell me that’s true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not. As the Tower Board reported, what began as a strategic opening to Iran deteriorated, in its implementation, into trading arms for hostages. This runs counter to my own beliefs, to administration policy, and to the original strategy we had in mind.</b> There are reasons why it happened, but no excuses. It was a mistake." Reagan’s approval rating rebounds to 51%.

May 17: A missile from an Iraqi warplane hits the U.S.S. "Stark," killing the 37 sailors onboard. The frigate is part of a naval task force which was sent to the Persian Gulf to keep the waterway open during the Iran-Iraq war.

August 3: Congress completes its public hearings on Iran-Contra. "We may never know with precision or truth why it ever happened." Meanwhile, Reagan’s close aides Lyn Nofziger and Michael Deaver are convicted of influence peddling. Meese is investigated and cleared. Nofziger’s conviction is overturned on appeal.

March 16: Oliver North, John Poindexter, and two others are indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of conspiring to defraud the U.S. government by secretly providing funds and supplies to the Contra rebels fighting the government of Nicaragua.

May 5: Donald Regan’s memoir, "For the Record" is published. In it he reveals that Nancy Reagan relied on an astrologer to dictate her husband's public appearances.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62