View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mojo_PeiPei
Kiss of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy
i find it interesting in the above posts that take the ridiculous accusations of treason seriously that "treason" seems to be reserved in rightwingland for those who opposed particular wars, and vietnam above all others. funny how that works, isnt it?
There is nothing funny about it, and I never said it was reserved to people in "rightwingland", it just happens when cowards from "leftwingland" testify and lie before congress and America GI's suffer and die from it I get pissed.

Quote:
funnier still that this is associated with the reactionary claim that state sovereignty trumps international law, particularly when that law pertains to questions of war crimes.
Maybe you don't know this, but it does. That's how the rules set up for one, countries are only beholden to treaties they sign, we haven't signed any ICC treaty. Secondly International law only has authority were it is conceded. There is nothing reactionary about this, it is merely political fact.

Quote:
put the two together and you get a glimpse into the conventional "wisdom" of the right: so long as the actor is a "real american" (read conservative) anything goes: step out of line and oppose what the conservatives decide to be the Best Interest of Real Americans like themselves and it is treason.
I don't know where you got this from, I agreed that Prescott Bush was guilty of Treason contigent on the information Samcol put fourth, I couldn't comment on the Reagen/Nixon claims, Nixon I'm assuming being involved with Vietnam; so that is why I suggested Kennedy and LBJ, the two that started the war, be thrown in with the first two.

Quote:
it seems to me that if there is a problem, it lay with the ridiculous viewpoint developed by the conservative apparatus on this. it is like they are practicing for a total clampdown on dissent from moderates and the left by obsessing about vietnam, about those who opposed it, by rewriting the past and casting those who exercized their freedom of speech in opposition to a an obviously foul colonial war in the role of enemies of the state.
Maybe you can't grasp this concept, but there is dissent, and then there is treason. Dissent is alright and it is protected speech, when you go beyond that by doing things like meeting the enemy and garnering them support by the blood of America troops you are committing treason.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62