View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Manx
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidlight
I'm not seeing how precisely you're correlating the mediums? In reading the synopsis for the show it would seem that you're making some rather large assumptions about it's content.
I watched the first part last night, so I'm not simply basing my opinion on the show off their website. The show is a Christian fundamentalist fantasy.
Quote:
Also, what's keeping you from your fantasies? ABC is a standard access channel, yes, but I can watch Howard Stern and whatever nude guest he has on pretty much every night on E!, Janet's "wardrobe malfunction" wasn't supposed to be part of the show as far as the producers are concerned, and quite often you can get Jenna on premium cable channels, or with about 5 minutes of downloading on the internet, so access to these fantasies is rather a moot point in the end.
If we're not going to differentiate between broadcast TV and cable tv and pay-per-view - then the discussion would be moot. But since those three areas are significantly differentiated, the discussion remains.
Quote:
What I would really ask is why is it that they should be expected to tolerate your fantasies when you're not willing to be tolerant of theirs?
I was actually rather explicit on this aspect. I have never made any attempt to prevent their fantasy. My fantasy is currently prevented. So what you should be asking is the same question I am asking: why should I be expected to tolerate their fantasies when they're not willing to be tolerant of mine.
Quote:
As for the arguments about the fantasies leading to behaviors, do you have any evidence where that's been the proof in any of these cases?
The arguments I presented are not arguments I support - they are the arguments that are made to support censorship. I can't provide you evidence, though I'm certain a quick google search will provide you with "evidence" from those who make those arguments.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54