View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
boatin
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmithee
How dare I? I dare because I see the same treatment directed toward the right and Christians. Apparently name-calling and blanket statements should be the sole province of the left? I've personally found that simply saying that something is offensive won't stop it's use on these boards. So if the right/Christians can wear the labels bigots/racists/sheep/stupid/ignorant/foolish/facists/crazy I think the left can fairly be tagged with amoral.
You have become what you despise.

I thought I addressed this in my post. Because others do this to the right, you can do it to the left??

Look, we use shorthand when we talk. When many on the right take a position I disagree with, it's easy to talk about 'the right'. And vice versa. But when you use an insulting LABEL for the entire group, that can't make things better. Can it?

By labeling the entire 'left' with that word, you label all individuals that way. There is nothing inherantly insulting in the label "religious right" or "christian conservative" is there?

On a more personal level: YOUcalled ME amoral. You probably weren't singling me out, but that's what happens when you use insulting group labels.

I will certainly cop to being ignorant, foolish, crazy or other labels people use when they disagree with me. But telling me I am without morals is an entirely different scale of insult.

If you can find a single instance where I was derogatory to the "right", I would be shocked. If you do, I owe you an apology. That is never my intent, and if it happened, I was either inarticulate or inappropriate. Either way, I will apologize, learn something, and move forward.

If you feel that it's ok to address your fellow TFPers this way, I request that you remove yourself from these boards. We are better than that.

Further, if you see other posters being insulting, please call them on it and let the kick-ass moderators solve it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54