View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 12:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
roachboy

Super Moderator
i just read your posts, irate, took your way of framing the questions you addressed and turned it back on you. had this kind of framing not been present in your posts, i would never have imputed it to you.

Quote:
my worldview is in direct opposition to the idea that two things can be simultaneously in opposition and be equally true. such thinking is diseased.
that's funny---but i suppose it is coherent since you do not define what kind of truth you are talking about. you obviously can have two claims about the same issue, or two claims to the same object, both of which are formally correct (they do not violate any rules in their construction) and therefore true. it happens all the time. how is that diseased?

i suspect you mean something loftier in your throwing about of the word truth--something maybe neoplatonist, maybe mystical--something religious---but in a way that is antithetical to philosophy---unless you accept the definition of philosophy you find in barnes and noble bookstores, where there is no distinction between nietzsche, jonathan livingstone seagull, how to make friends and influence people and hal lindsey's latest about the coming apocalypse.

on a more serious note, however
there is something kind of unnerving in your langauge above, irate: you seem to adhere to a notion of truth that is linked to illumination---that is linked to your particular relation to your particular beliefs--on that basis, you characterize those who do not share your particular predispositions and your particular modes of deriving consequences from them as "diseased"---which is not a rhetorical turn i think you want to make, sir, else you end up deriving consequences from that too----following your particular predispositions and your particular modes of derivation-----that would lead you to support the "quarantine" of these "diseased elements"----maybe some Healthy Labor would help the Diseased, you know the kind of Healthy Labor that would fit nicely into the recreational schedule of nice camps in lovely rural settings--after all, the Health of the Body of the Nation is at stake--disease is not good for a Healthy Nation (full of people who believe exactly as you do). and, as we all know, arbeit macht frei.

do you really want to go here?

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite

Last edited by roachboy; 03-27-2005 at 12:46 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62