View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
irateplatypus
can't help but laugh

you told me that your opinion of what i believe cannot be wrong because it's your opinion... that really does sum up quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx
You should think about getting off your "religious people are people too" kick. You're entirely and completely failing to grasp this thread and instead you are arguing something that is totally meaningless here.
i disagree. your thread is, from the start, concerned with the influence people of religious backgrounds exert on the conservative politicians in this country. it seems that you consider morality (which can be a purely secular endeavor) to be null when born out of a religious context, putting such moral codes into a separate category. if moral understanding from religion is unacceptable in the public forum, i'd love to know what you consider to be acceptable.

but i'll bite: i don't think that a major split will occur, but mainly for the reasons that i've been trying to drive at (the differing perceptions of how moral positions are formed in the political arena). moral decisions made by the bulk of religious people have too much relevance with the conservative agenda at large. the nature of truth, the role of government, and the responsibilities of the individual enjoy a strong link between the current iteration of christianity and conservative politics. while it may be a marriage of convenience... it's much more convenient than any current alternative.
If you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.

~ Winston Churchill

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62