View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
hannukah harry
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCB
I've experienced more discrimination when I was growing up working class (and believe it or not, the Army was the worst) than I do now, and my skin color or my name hasn't changed one bit. These days, I believe it's more classism than racism. Could I get into the local country club? Probably not, but I'm not going to scream discrimination.
and how were you discriminated against? while i agree classism exists (and i think that's probably as much as a problem as racism, and that the two intertwine), i wouldn't call not being able to join the local country club classism. if it's a private club and you can't afford it and they don't like you (reasons don't matter if it's a private club), then find a different club. but then again, i kinda agree with what marx said... 'i don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver
Because I HAVE been turned down jobs because I was white in a Mexican heavy town. I HAVE been denied shopping at shops and eating in restaurants cause I am white. But wait... I'm white... no one cares.
and why should they care? you don't seem to have made it an issue. how can people care about some one being discriminated against if said person doesn't seem to care enough himself to bring it to the public's attention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaver
So you disagree with Lincoln when he said you can't build one man up by tearing another man down? How about at least telling me, with a history of being overtly discriminated against, how I have inherant privlages and advantages by being white? How about when a friend of mine (who happened to be of Mexican descent), who made worse grades than me, was involved in less extra-curricular activities, held down no job in HS, and family had almost double our income with only one child got a full ride... and I had to join the military to pay for college (we applied to the exact same scholarships, I applied for many more to boot).

Man being white makes things so easy!
and how is AA tearing you or anyone else down? how are you being overtly discriminated against, and how is AA the culprit? how did your friend get the full ride when you didn't? i have no idea. why don't you ask the people who felt that he was more worthy of a scholorship and financial aid than you. the reason my be AA, or it may be something else entirely. maybe he wrote a much better essay for the scholorship than you? i wasn't there, so i can't tell you.

but if you want to know what white privildge is, and how you have it, do a google search. i'll see if i can find anything succinct enough to make a post out of, maybe even a new thread, but i don't have the time right now (working on a paper for class). but this might be a good place for you to start: http://www.whiteprivilege.com/

oh, and just not every white person gets the benefits of all of the white privelidges. some do, some don't, but all have more of them than a non-white. you're socio-economic status will affect some of them i'm sure. a poor white person is worse off than a rich white person, but still better of than a poor black person (and possibly an upper-middle class black person) in how society treats them.

word, filtherton, word.

Last edited by hannukah harry; 03-26-2005 at 08:02 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62